S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a Jackson similar to this one:

The flames are a little different on mine, but they're pretty faded now anyways.

I like the large window it has, but the thing I like most about it is the yellow lense in it. It gives you a red spectrum for your welding instead of the usual green spectrum that most hoods have. I think it's a more realistic spectrum and it certainly helps me see better when I'm welding.

Originally I bought the Jackson just because it had a large window and its upgradeable to autodarkening if I want that option, but I have a few HF autodarkening hoods and I rarely use them. I'll swap back and forth depending on which gives me better lighting for a job if I have them both, but mostly I use the Jackson.

I always intended to airbrush it myself one day, but I've never bothered to take the time.

Mathius

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts

Mine.....29Hotrod version,my employer pays $150 so I got it for nearly half price!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Those Jackson hoods w/ the big ole windows look convenient. Especially for awkward positions. Do you guys hafta hold your breath so they don't fog up?

j/k

·
Registered
193 Posts
Those Jackson hoods w/ the big ole windows look convenient. Especially for awkward positions. Do you guys hafta hold your breath so they don't fog up?

j/k
Never had that problem, but I haven't had to weld out in the cold yet either that I can recall. ;)

Safety glasses are a PITA though. I remember crawling over a pipeline 30feet up in the air in the snow last year with a harness on trying to install some dust collection pipe and the damn things kept fogging up while I'm trying not to loose my grip in the snow and fall.

Mathius

·
Bob Saget bitch!
2,539 Posts
Big Window Jackson halo mask with Boss wide view auto-lens. Bought it back in november and no complaints so far. Big window is an awesome feature, I think this mask is the largest auto-dark lens available:

Mask is very light as well.
Nice Ballistic sticker. :p

Here's my Digital Elite. A little over a year old in this picture. It's a TIG only helmet, and I keep it in it's provided cover whenever it's not in use.

I keep an aftermarket wool headband on it. I was switching to a new one when I decided to take pictures. It keeps everything looking new. I'm a little anal about my welding equipment. :rolleyes:

·
<3's EDM
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ive noticed a majority of ppl are using a miller hood of some kind. what are your reasons for choosing that over say a Speedglas? price? window size? comfort? weight?

i only ask because i got my helmet for a price of a new set of batteries so i never really researched anything. it kinda just fell in my hands. i thought my HF helmet was nice till i welded with this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ive noticed a majority of ppl are using a miller hood of some kind. what are your reasons for choosing that over say a Speedglas? price? window size? comfort? weight?

i only ask because i got my helmet for a price of a new set of batteries so i never really researched anything. it kinda just fell in my hands. i thought my HF helmet was nice till i welded with this.
Well I woulda got a Speedglass like yours (those are awesome hoods), But it was big $$$ compared the the Elite (this was almost 3-4 years ago).... I think it was at least a $200 difference between the 2 when I was pricing 'em out... maybe even more than that. The Speedglass I was drooling over had that "grinding" shade (or something like that), so you could use it for plasma cutting and as a face shield for grinding (right?),.... awesome features. Miller was probably the 2nd best choice.... plus thier auto-shade windows are slightly larger than most...even the Speedglass... but not those Jacksons above.
I'd probably trade ya?:cool:

·
<3's EDM
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
im not really sure what grinding mode is. i dont think mine has it, but it has a light shade of 3 which is higher than most i have used. so you can use it for grinding/face shield.

that is the one thing i wish mine had was a lil larger window. the helmet Twisted Minis posted has a screen area of 9.2" where as the Speedglas 9002X i have is 8.73".

so thats less than .5" squared less viewing area, doesnt sound like alot, but id take it.

i wish i could but that lense in my mask.

****. or even afford one of the new 9100XX masks.

·
Bob Saget bitch!
2,539 Posts
I bought the Miller because I had one before and liked it. My Grandpa had a fancy Speedglas that I used a few times. It had all the options my Miller has for an extra $100 more, was a little heavier, slightly smaller lens, and I just thought it looked funny. Nothing against Speedglas, just not for me. I looked into getting one before I bought the helmet above. Was going to cost me $375 locally. I bought my Miller for $280 locally. It has grind mode so that you can use grinders and plasma cutters while wearing it. I use it for plasma, it's great. It also has what they call X-Mode. It's for outdoor and low amp welding. It's pretty cool. It can tell the difference between sunlight and the weld light, so it doesn't black out every time you move your head. And it's nice for low amp TIG, because it senses the frequency before the arc starts. I've never been flashed with this helmet, except for the first time I forgot to turn it on. You learn quick though.

I bought a Miller Helmet, and I own two Lincoln welders. I don't like their machines, but I don't think you can beat their helmets.

·
<3's EDM
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
any body every consider changing the plastic infront of your lens? lol damn those things are dirty.
i want to, but i cant justify spending the $30 for the kit.

i wish i would just find some clear poly carbonate and make my own lense.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i want to, but i cant justify spending the $30 for the kit.

i wish i would just find some clear poly carbonate and make my own lense.
I hear using Brasso on your used lens covers can clean them up quite nicely
... any one tried this before?.

I only change out my plastics after it starts impeding my vision. How often ya change them depends largely on how good you can set up your machines & keep the spatter down.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought the Miller because I had one before and liked it. My Grandpa had a fancy Speedglas that I used a few times. It had all the options my Miller has for an extra $100 more, was a little heavier, slightly smaller lens, and I just thought it looked funny. Nothing against Speedglas, just not for me. I looked into getting one before I bought the helmet above. Was going to cost me $375 locally. I bought my Miller for $280 locally. It has grind mode so that you can use grinders and plasma cutters while wearing it. I use it for plasma, it's great. It also has what they call X-Mode. It's for outdoor and low amp welding. It's pretty cool. It can tell the difference between sunlight and the weld light, so it doesn't black out every time you move your head. And it's nice for low amp TIG, because it senses the frequency before the arc starts. I've never been flashed with this helmet, except for the first time I forgot to turn it on. You learn quick though.

I bought a Miller Helmet, and I own two Lincoln welders. I don't like their machines, but I don't think you can beat their helmets.
When did you buy it? Is that lens standard for the Elites now? I'm jealous. I could really use that grind mode for plaz.

·
<3's EDM
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I hear using Brasso on your used lens covers can clean them up quite nicely
... any one tried this before?.

I only change out my plastics after it starts impeding my vision. How often ya change them depends largely on how good you can set up your machines & keep the spatter down.
or how often you do overhead. i did it for like 2 hrs and that ****ed up my cover for sure.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts