S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
<3's EDM
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets see what everyone is working with.

Speedglas 9002X, rattle canned it blue cause i was bored. lol.

·
MichiganMetalWorks.com
2,531 Posts
Hobart Auto-Darken. Just a baisc helmtet.... i use it for TIG only, Wife bought it for me as a gift last year.

I have a lincoln silver line i use for mig only, but its just black, so no pics

·
bitches and hos
690 Posts
same hood as above but all black with misc car stickers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
you guys will probably laugh but this is similar to what i use at work. not this exactly, mines is a bit thicker leather so it holds its shape and the flipper is a lot better. but i made it myself and at work we cant even use any head suspension/auto darkening type hoods because the places i have to weld theres no way you can fit with the hood being that big. and the solar triggered lenses dont work when you have to "crab eye" or mirror weld cause not enough light to make the lens go dark.http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LEATHER-WELDING-HOOD-HELMET_W0QQitemZ120382811976QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Work_Saftey_Apparel?hash=item120382811976&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I just use a basics $30 helmet...I'd like to get an auto darkening, but I can't justify the cost when mine still works just fine...I did learn to weld with an auto mask, and I love them.

I hadn't really thought of painting mine....I think I might attempt it.

do you guys wear the little welding caps when you weld? Or gloves? I have really long hair, so it makes it easier to pull my hair under. 90% of the time I don't wear gloves...but I get the radiant burns on my wrists/arms real easy.

·
<3's EDM
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i want to get mine professionally painted, so if anyone knows of a good cheap painter in the utica area, please let me know.

thanks.

·
**** you
9,528 Posts
i use a 20$ mask from home depot. Used it every day for about 2 years welding on aluminum and heavy steel and its always been great. theres a couple melt spots on it from some molten aluminum hitting it. But I cant justify the price of those auto-shade miller helmets or anything. for $20 mine does the same thing, and if you can weld 1 handed, your good to go.

·
Still 2 High
7,539 Posts
My helmet is some cheapo from Valley Gas that I dot from my old job. It has like a 5" viewing screen, which is really nice. And leather's taped the whole way around the bottom of the helmet. (I used to weld aluminum 10+ hours a day, that shit burns 10x worse than steel slag)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
^^ that helmet looks badass...

I went and looked at mine, It's a $30 Jackson hsl100 helmet...I love it, because it's got a huge window...I think I'll purchase an auto helmet soon

·
<3's EDM
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i saw that one on weldingweb.com

id be afraid to use it. i baby mine and it still manages to get scratched somehow.

how do you like your side windows? i have them too and am beginning to like them alot.

·
lame-o
792 Posts
i saw that one on weldingweb.com

id be afraid to use it. i baby mine and it still manages to get scratched somehow.

how do you like your side windows? i have them too and am beginning to like them alot.

I would not use that hood if it was mine! Too much $ and time in paint to screw it up!

I love the side windows! It really opens up your viewing area. I dig everything about the hood.

I work at a welding supplier. A few times after work (while I was contemplating purchasing one) I would put it on and walk around with it (after we were closed and I was the only one left of course).

If anyone walked by they probably thought I was a total weirdo!

t

·
PANFACE
3,388 Posts
mine is a speedglass like the first one, except scratched all over, melted all over, welding spatter all over, had one sticker but it got melted away, wanted to get it painted, along with my hardhat, but all that would happen is be a waste of money since they get thrown around all the time....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts