S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
^ hmm, cant figure what that is. I never take my home made tools to that level though. I would be pretty dangerous if i took the time to learn how to use drawing software like solidworks....

I love home made tools. all i can think of that i built recently.

Here is a sight pusher i built. got the job done installing trijicon HD night sights.

surprisingly the frame was tweaking pushing the sight off. suppose if i want to use it more often i should beef up the walls.

·
*Just Do It*
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot that some family came into town. So I when into the garage and took a pic of the first thing I seen.
Had to change the fuel pump in my sisters 2002 Silverado. And getting that stupid ring off was easy. But trying to get it back on when working under the bed is a total bitch. So I made this lil thingy. Worked perfect the first time!!

·
needs a cheeseburger
6,049 Posts
made these for my cousins.there are 4 total.they bolt them to the sides of modular homes when they slide them onto their foundations.plate was 3/8ths thick.it sucked drilling all those 1/2inch holes by hand.dont mind the bottom edge.the plate i cut them out of was torch cut on one side.i just smoothed them out some.it sucked cutting those with a angle grinder and cut off wheels.

·
Layed Out Fabrication
2,164 Posts
that's cool. think i came up with an idea to use my welding table and just bolt the brake down to that. that way i don't have another tool in the shop i don't have room for. now i just need to find the time to design it in 3D so i know it works

·
*Just Do It*
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So as promised(finally) my version of a radius brake. I made this one a bolt on version(but I didnt drill the holes quite yet). This is what I started with, 7/8" solid w/1/2" threads tapped in both ends. 2 pieces on 1" square, 1" round and later added some 3/4" round all .120 wall. And the piece of 3/16" x 2 1/2" flat strap

I got the stap welded to the solid. my table is 5/8" top plate, so i had to put the strap on so the solid was flush with the top of the table.

Clamped it to my table

Then started putting together the handle. Idrilled 1/2" holes in the 1" tubing 3/4" up. When i bolted them the the solid, I used a washer on each end to give me some gap so its not tight when I take it apart or use it

Then I added some 3/4" braces and a lil truss to the back. It needs these for flex. Without them the top part really moves and you get a crappy un even bend

When I bend something I will need to get a piece to hold what ever Im bendind down. I didnt think about getting a pic of this....I will try to tonight.
But once im done using it I can un bolt it(or in this case un clamp) and throw it in the rack with the other handles.

This one is the smallest and most lite duty one Ive done so far, but maybe it will help some of you guys out
But with these simple homemade tools Im able to do bends like these

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
17 Participants
chevy power
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing