S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Chevy S10 LS 3dr 2wd 4.3L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving from Kamloops down to Vancouver over the mountains when i noticed that the cruse control had gone crazy and the engine was screaming 'help'
I slowed the truck down below 150kph (no idea how fast i was going as the speedo stops going up at 145kph)
the truck seemed to be running fine but when we came to as stop there was a loud rattle, sounded just like a diesel truck

there didn't seem to be any lack of power at all, and the sound went away when the engine speed was above idle
I was able to finish the 4 hour drive that included stop and go traffic and a few more hours at 110 kph

the sound seems to either be coming from the alternator (charging system seemed fine) or the valves above cylinder 2

I wonder if it's a broken return spring or something like that...

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can pull the accessory belt off to see if the noise is coming from any of the pulleys or accessories.
A mechanics stethoscope (or long screwdriver) can help pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Just be careful around moving parts while the engine is running.

Oil look okay?

·
Registered
1997 Chevy S10 LS 3dr 2wd 4.3L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did an oil change just before the trip, and it was still full and clean
I used the mechanics stethoscope i had bought years ago but never opened, ha ha
the loudest noise was coming from inside the alternator, I must have blown a bearing

am I lucky or what!

Reactions: ala_frosty
1 - 4 of 4 Posts