S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my freind barrows my 1998 zr2 4.3 blazer 4x4 truck for a few gets on the highway some how bumps the 4x4 button and isnt smart enough to know why the truck wont shift so he keeps driving it overheats he stops waits a few all is good . gets back on the highway rolling and it just dies . this is his story no idea if its what went down . so i go meet him get it towed home . the motor is reving was faster than normal when trying to start i pull the cap the rotor is still spining so i know the timing chain isnt broken pull plug # 1 and there is 0 compression havent checked the others yet pull off water pump and fan get timing cover off chain feels pretty tight did it maybe skip a tooth or am i looking at a possible head gasket ? or any ideas . lesson learned dont loan your shit out

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Since you already have the timing cover off, line up your marks on the timing gears. Every gear has marks for TDC on cylinder one. See if the marks line up. If they don't, you have your answer.

However, since he overheated the motor, I'd be willing to bet the REAL story was that he probably drove the truck overheating until it died, in which case he probably caused the piston rings to collapse, amongst other internal damage including a blown head gasket OR cracked cylinder head(s). That will give you no compression and a need to rebuild the engine.

·
get laid/commit suicide
3,219 Posts
looks like you learned the hard way(like I did) not to let ANYONE barrow ANYTHING that belongs to you that you would like to see again in the same conditon you lent it to them.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Why wouldn't it shift it was in 4wd

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ill mess with it later this week and try to figure it out i have 4 other cars so its not like im at a loss but that was the one i put all my miles on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts