S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
What’s up s10 people

Anyone know what this is? It’s making a buzzing sound so I want to replace it. I’ve tried parts stores and even rock auto and no one knows what it is.

It’s in side the air box. It has two prongs that go through the air box and connects to two tires. One of the wires goes to the large tube that runs off the air box. The other wire goes to this “thing” that connects to the air box. There’s photos of this attached.

If I had to guess, I’d say it has to do with emissions and that’s why no one knows what it is

Anyone?!?
F5FB20B4-065D-41CF-8AD7-13C0F9A5E238_1561604453452.jpeg
51BDDF09-D918-4CCE-BC2A-D08F49463AA7_1561604485735.jpeg
EBE4EE15-DF18-4086-94AD-FA2F568EC6BE_1561604519001.jpeg
F5FB20B4-065D-41CF-8AD7-13C0F9A5E238_1561604453452.jpeg

·
Registered
90 Posts
One photo is of the two prongs with the wires connected. The wires connected to the round thing on the air intake tube is the first wire I was talking about. The one with the orange thing going through the air box is where the second wire goes.
0D42E4BB-C38C-4B40-A5F3-A36D136E2EE1_1561604693505.jpeg
5F8BFE87-7825-4C58-8EDB-566742517DB9_1561604764160.jpeg
17CA6DBB-842F-425E-AAE3-3876466E6F88_1561604893210.jpg

·
Been there Done it
6,890 Posts
Those appear to be vacuum hoses, not wires. I'm pretty sure that you are correct about it being an old emission gadget of some kind. I suspect it is an early vacuum method to control something based on incoming air temperature. I think it is called a TVS (Thermal Vacuum Switch). Seen a number of vehicle where the holes in the air cleaner was all that remained.
You might be able to find a replacement in a JY. I believe they were on a lot of GM engines in the early 80's.
Have you looked it over with a magnifying glass for a possible part number? Not that anyone makes them today.

·
time to get cereal
2,248 Posts
It's called a stove pipe. Pretty much all early emissions cars had them. Mostly carbs and TBI. MPFI cars usually had coolant ran through the throttle body.

There's no emissions diagram under the hood?

·
Been there Done it
6,890 Posts
In my high school auto shop we learned how to change the oil in the air cleaner.
You'll also notice in the picture the removable cartridge oil filter and the resistor for the 12 volt coil.
Cool old power steering pump also but it cost a fortune to replace the generator because of it.
About $25 more, which was 3 days pay. In today's money that's like $350.

·
Old Fart
2,920 Posts
not that old

it has an electric wiper motor vs vacuum
That is a 1955 Chevy 265 the oil filter was optional and if you look close the optional electric wiper motor has the switch mounted on it and was operated by a cable connected to the knob on the dash. I know this because I have owned several Tri5s over the years. My first 55 Belair had the vacuum wipes that stopped whenever you went up a hill or mashed on the gas.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I knew someone here would know what it is. I can only find one on eBay for forty bucks and it looks used. I think I’m gonna have to just fix it or try to find one at the junkyard. It buzzes super loud when I connect the vacuum lines. I’m sure it’s supposed to make some noise but damn!!! Any ideas?!?
@manbearpig this is the only sticker under the hood. That wire diagram might as well be in Chinese. I have to watch the a YouTube video on how to read it right and know what’s what.

Attachments

·
time to get cereal
2,248 Posts
Your air cleaner is in the top right of that diagram. The diaphragm on the air cleaner snorkel is for the stove pipe (the metal foil looking pipe coming from the exhaust manifold.) The piece you took a picture of is labeled Temp Sensor, and the SEC VAC BRK TVS is the thing on the back with all of the vacuum lines coming out.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,295 Posts
Yuck...glad my truck is fuel injected now. I hated all those ****** hoses!

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,091 Posts
In my high school auto shop we learned how to change the oil in the air cleaner.
You'll also notice in the picture the removable cartridge oil filter and the resistor for the 12 volt coil.
Cool old power steering pump also but it cost a fortune to replace the generator because of it.
About $25 more, which was 3 days pay. In today's money that's like $350.

In my autotech class I replaced the 2.8l in my brother’s late 80’s camaro with reman from Parts America that he bought with a sears credit card he stole from a navy recruiter.:haha:

Funny story about that too,..he didn’t get caught,but the guy who took the card, our buddy Reggie did trying to use it after my brother did.

It took 2-3 days for my brother to be able to pick the engine up after ordering it. I’m surprised get caught coming back to pick it up,but I guess he was confident the guy wouldn’t notice till he got his statement.

Since my brother got away with actually buying the engine,and picking it up a few days later Reggie assumed he could get a tool set at sears the next day as well,...welp,..they figured it out by then,and arrested Reggie.

Reggie never gave up my brother either,..he claimed he found it,and tried to use it once..and they couldn’t pin the purchase on Reggie,because my brother was white,blue eyes,blonde hair 5’ 8 250lbs,and Reggie was a black dude that was well over 6’,and slender...

The navy recruiter accepted the story,and offered to drop the charges if Reggie joined the navy. Reggie joined,got through boot camp or whatever they call it in the navy,and ended up as a torpedo loader in a submarine,..first time the boat dived...nose bleed that wouldn’t stop..so bad they flew him by copter to a hospital,and had it cauterized. Ends up Reggie was a hemophiliac! Never knew..got a full medical discharge from the Navy,and now is technically a veteran ‘..:haha: gets all that free government stuff!! is basically a veteran:haha: all for steeling a credit card.

·
the new guy
653 Posts
Both of the filter housings for the 2.8s I have still have that on them. And all the lines are hooked up, if you need a pic of anything.

Truck ran great with a knocking engine. We put another 2.8 in and Now either the trans or the rear end is having trouble.

But that 2.8 is a runner. With no muffler it sounds like a hot rod but is slower then my 98 2.2 sonoma light to light, it feels like.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,295 Posts
Both of the filter housings for the 2.8s I have still have that on them. And all the lines are hooked up, if you need a pic of anything.

Truck ran great with a knocking engine. We put another 2.8 in and Now either the trans or the rear end is having trouble.

But that 2.8 is a runner. With no muffler it sounds like a hot rod but is slower then my 98 2.2 sonoma light to light, it feels like.
Yank that thing if it's carbureted and replace it with a Holley 4bbl setup or a Weber. You will be shocked at the difference in power. Significant.

·
the new guy
653 Posts
a little four barrel would be awesome. I bet a weber 34/34 would be too. I might do that. I put a small holley 4 barrel on my wrangler and it improved gas mileage and fun and I grew up having carb's vehicles so I am comfortable on them. this truck is for my youngest son though so I will have to see. I think its great for him to learn about carbs but I wonder how much he will actually touch one in the future.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts