S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· erbulus
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found exterior LED lights that actually last? I'm not talking about headlights but all of the others like license plate and marker lights. I have purchased them on ebay and they just seem to be junk. I am having this problem on both my 1995 and 2003 so it's hard to blame the trucks. The LED's have one thing in common, Made in China and I do believe this to be the problem.

· Been there Done it
16,225 Posts
I've got 20+ year old exterior lights that still work. The original ones that came from the factory. What's the fascination with LED's. The technology dates back to the 80's. Granted it is continually improving.
Even Cree has a factory in China. As do most other LED manufacturers. I believe the trick to long lasting LED's is to not buy them on sites as full of clones as eBay or Amazon.
I tried to buy some FTL work gear socks on Ebay. The real ones that are 82% cotton and made in the USA. Found 2 sellers out of 100+ that actually had the real thing. The rest were off shore 75% polyester.

· Registered
2002 S10 2WD (4.3L, AT)
419 Posts
My 2002 has LEDs for all exterior bulbs except the headlights, which remain OEM incandescent. The fascination with LEDs is their superior brightness. But if they're junk and don't work right, they're not an upgrade. Rhotpursuit provided an excellent site for getting LEDs that will fit. If you're still having difficulty, let me know....I will look up the bulbs in my 2002, which should work in your 2003.....

· Banned
985 Posts
name brand bulbs are usually good. sylvania, philips, osram, cree, etc
some sockets/wires just blow bulbs constantly. i have a car that chewed thru like 10 turn bulbs in a 2 month span until i bought a new wire/plug/housing... everything checked out on the old one, it just didnt want to work right

· Premium Member
25,642 Posts
Another vote for superbrightled.

I used Sylvania Zevo (2nd gen) Works great, as bright as stock, using 1157 and 3157 bulbs

JDM Astar from ebay, I've had good luck with these as well.

· Registered
1995 S10 2.2 liter 5 Speed 2wd RCSB
348 Posts
Superbrightleds.com! X4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts