S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the affects, if any, by leaving on your 4WD, at slow speeds of course? My Noma is a 93 with push button 4wd (insta-trac I think)

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
better traction

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
It will tear up your drivetrain if you drive around on dry pavement. Especially when you make turns, the front and rear wheels will be forced to spin at the same speed, so it's not a good thing to do.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
hard on tires inside tires like to skid while turning

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
what kinda weather are you talking about using it in?

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
If the roads are dry and pavement, don't use it in 4x4, that can damage your drivetrain and will put extra wear on your tires. Now if it's covered in snow, ice, gravel etc....then at least your tires can easily slip.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I noticed on dry pavement it didnt like going much more than a mile or so at side street speeds in a straight line, it seems the 4x4 system was binding up a bit. It liked my trip to the local OHV area alot more in 4wd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dont ever go into 4wd unless i need to anyway. You can play by your self for the most part in 2wd until you get stuck then get out in 4wd and go home

·
Professional Insultant
5,928 Posts
I'd only do it if the roads were all white, no patches of pavement.

Saw one transfer case glow cherry red and throw itself out the bottom of the jeep, a lady thought since it was snowing it was time to put it in 4x4 while doing errands around town.

as long as your tires are on a loose surface and can spin you will be fine. :)

I don't know about first gens, ( I guess they did, google had a few results) 2nd gens came with insta-trac. (4 button transfer case) when that is turned on the truck stays in 2wd, then when the tires start to slip it engages 4x4, and turns back off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.