S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Chevy S10. 4.3/V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1989 S10, 4.3, V6. This was owned by one other gentleman and he only did routine maintenance. The only issue there was when I bought it was a fuel pump issue. It sat for about three years.

since then I have done the following...
-fuel pump
-spark plugs
-wires
-cap and rotor
-water pump
-heater hoses
-radiator
-upper and lower hoses

While having the hood open and spraying down the engine bay with purple power and water I had the throttle body and other places covered with bags. While cleaning with water there was a spark in that area. The truck will run, idle, and start. The truck had no issue driving around the yard 15MPH and under. Finally got it titled and wanted to get it on the road. I took it out, vehicle hit 35MPH and cut off. Waiting 10 minutes started back up. Cut off again. Did that until I got it home.

things I noticed...

-the truck would crank fine but never turn over.
-there was a fire that shot out of the TB area. I was giving it gas to start when I should it have (I learned that today)
-there was a long gain of RPM before shifting to 2nd gear. I had to release the gas peddle for that.

Any assistance, tips, or tricks would be appreciated. I want to get this bad boy running and road ready! I have pictures and videos, can’t find out how to attach them.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,748 Posts
Post your pics as Full size...easier to see. And don't know if you noticed..but you air cleaner lid is on upside down. 🤣

·
Registered
89 Chevy S10. 4.3/V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Post your pics as Full size...easier to see. And don't know if you noticed..but you air cleaner lid is on upside down. 🤣
Yes sir! Haha, I flipped it to let it breathe more. I posted my photos via phone, I will get on my computer and re upload them in a little bit. Thank you!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,748 Posts
Yes sir! Haha, I flipped it to let it breathe more. I posted my photos via phone, I will get on my computer and re upload them in a little bit. Thank you!
I fixed the photos. The only thing flipping the lid does is feed hot air into the engine. Better off putting on rightside up, and getting the tube that goes to the fender or core support...depending on what was on there originally.

·
Registered
89 Chevy S10. 4.3/V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fixed the photos. The only thing flipping the lid does is feed hot air into the engine. Better off putting on rightside up, and getting the tube that goes to the fender or core support...depending on what was on there originally.
I have the original plastics. I will do that, thank you. I’m gonna look into the issues more tomorrow and see where I fall with what code it might give off and more details

·
Been there Done it
12,814 Posts
Have you taken the air cleaner adapter ring off to see if the wires passing under it are rubbed thru? Might be what cause the spark and your performance issue. With the air filter off look straight down at your injectors and see if they're both producing a nice cone shaped spray. An old time trick is to hold an old fashioned timing light over the injectors to "freeze frame" them.

·
Registered
89 Chevy S10. 4.3/V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sounds like a great thing to start with, thank you. I have some issues I’m going to run through tomorrow. I will do that and surely see if that’s what’s going on. Thank you sir !

·
Registered
89 Chevy S10. 4.3/V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wanted to do that but a buddy of mine said I would have heard some misfire and the truck would shake a lot, so I decided to skip that. But I will make sure I got the firing order down and all. thanks!

·
Registered
89 Chevy S10. 4.3/V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Question of the day. When you have no ability to garage keep a vehicle such as the beauty above. I should be going outside to start it daily and drive it correct? It is the 2wd model, we get frost here In VA, below the 30's, never in the negatives, and snow. thoughts, comments, questions, concerns?

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Question of the day. When you have no ability to garage keep a vehicle such as the beauty above. I should be going outside to start it daily and drive it correct? It is the 2wd model, we get frost here In VA, below the 30's, never in the negatives, and snow. thoughts, comments, questions, concerns?
I dont know about daily but I wouldn't let it sit for more than a week in those Temps. Maybe keep a battery tender on it. Driving it and running it every day is ok, but it won't hurt it to sit for a few days at a time in between drives.

·
Registered
89 Chevy S10. 4.3/V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am attaching a video of the issue I am having for why my s10 will not start. I believe the throttle body is shooting gas out of a leak somewhere and its not allowing it to start. is this accurate, close, or am I completely off? thank you for any help! issue with my s10 not starting

·
Been there Done it
12,814 Posts
Sure looks like a firing order issue. When it spits vapor back out of the TB like that. Check and recheck that you have the plug wires on correctly and pull the cap to be sure everything in there is correct. Could also be a bad coil or wiring issue. Look over the wiring and connectors thoroughly. You didn't mention taking the distributor out so I'm not going there unless you did.

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Sure looks like a firing order issue. When it spits vapor back out of the TB like that. Check and recheck that you have the plug wires on correctly and pull the cap to be sure everything in there is correct. Could also be a bad coil or wiring issue. Look over the wiring and connectors thoroughly. You didn't mention taking the distributor out so I'm not going there unless you did.
View attachment 344418
I agree. Could be a timing issue as well. Have you tried disconnecting the injectors and using starting fluid and see if it runs or does the same thing?

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,633 Posts
might be me,but i don't every recall AC delco making a blue cap - as others here can attest- stick with OEM cap and rotor- a lot less ignition issues. and for your question about daily start and drive in the cold- i live in New Hampshire and my 4x4 sleeps all week while i drive an econo box to work. You can get a trickle charger /battery minder if you need to. And lastly- i did not see if you changed the FUEL FILTER? can cause fine running at idle- the piss poor under throttle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd recommend starting the truck every weekend, letting the temperature get up a little, and driving it enough to get to operating temp (180-190ish). If you're busy just let it idle in the front yard 'til it's warm.

Changing the fuel filter is another good idea too.

·
Registered
89 Chevy S10. 4.3/V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gents, I did change the fuel filter as well.

It was the firing order, I got the issue worked out and fixed. I will upload video of it running good soon! Thanks for the help and comments I appreciate it. I just swapped cap and rotor with the one I had which was OEM. thank you again. more to follow soon. Next is the alternator!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts