S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm leaking anti-frezze somewere from my engine,Me and my dad thinks it is the waterpump and gasket.We can't pin point it.Any ideas were this is coming from?I put in some radiator stop stuff and its suppused to stop leaks in the water pump also and so far it still leaks and ever had this problem w/ a 95 s10 4.3 automatic?Also my a/c compressor went out I think,its blowin out air and then sometimes it trys to blow colad a/c but it just reverts back to blowing hot a/c.We charged it and still nothing happens.I need some help here my s10 is having major mech problems of a sudden. Thanks

Mark :bowtie:

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
I dont know if that stop leak stuff will be very effective. Can you see the coolant leaking from the pump or not? Do you have GM's moneymaker, Dexcool coolant or the green? Alot of people know Dexcool can be very bad stuff and causes problems with our trusty 4.3's more than other GM mills.

The ac, if it is cold sometimes and warm other times then I would think that is a sign the compressor is ok internally... intermittent ac could be a ton of things really- Not in any special order, The compressor clutch, solenoid valves, control panel, thermal sensing bulb, undercharged system, etc. Sorry I cant help you- pick up a any haynes manual and it should walk you through troubleshooting.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
if the water pump is leaking, it will be dripping from the front of the engine. if you can get some of the green dye GM shops use, that will make spotting the leak a lot easier. a water pump is cheap ($25 brand new at NAPA). it could also be a head gasket leaking, which is a bad thing. either way, get it fixed asap - your engine is dead if the water pump spins a bearing or a head gasket goes. as for the A/C, i had the SAME problem, even had a shop totally drain and refill my A?C unit and lines. after 2 weeks, the air went back to being hot. i just always kept the windows down.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I just have the green coolant stuff from autozone,it was like 5 bucks and its real watery.Ya its still leakin bad..I think ima just break it down go to the mech shop and tell to them to fix the a/c and the coolant leak...i dont want my dog licking that shit up so I'm hopin a new a/c what ever wont be mor ethen like 400$.Im tryin to keep teh repairs under 1k.Thanks for the help so far.

·
12,507 Posts
changing the waterpump yourself is quite simple, a chevy garage charges about $100 to install it (im at college and have no tools, and no where, to repair anything myself). not sure about the A/C, but freyon can be pretty expensive if you have to totally refill the system, and have them tear it apart piece by piece to determine what it is. A/C isnt worth $400 to me, especially in winter, but maybe you're in Hawaii.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LoL Im in NorCal....I just talked to a mech and he said about 250$ to do the pump/gastek and timing belt 150k+ miles on the motor.So plus the a/c so I'm lookin at all my money goin to the engine like it did last time I saved 1500 for ****ing bags....well 1 day I will have bags.

·
12,507 Posts
so $250 to replace the water pump, gasket, and timing chain? christ thats expensive...

·
12,507 Posts
a water pump costs $25, figure $5 max for a gasket. takes 20 mins to install, plus you need however much antifreeze to refill the radiator and spill tank. not sure how much/how hard to replace a timing chain is, but if i were you, id do the pump myself and save w/e money you have left over for bags.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
You can get the R134a canisters @ wal mart, there is a kit for like 30 bucks or so.

Hope your head gasket is sound-

·
ask me about my crabs
81 Posts
we had a problem like this on my moms old 95 astro with the 4.3 liter, well the a/c issue, and we looked and the a/c thermostat switch was on the fritz, so when i would not blow cold we would have to get out and wiggle the wire going to the a/c, or something down there and it would work fine. I don't remeber how to do all of this i was just getting into cars when we did this stuff, but we somehow bypassed the a/c thermostat so it never shut off as long as the switch in the cab was too a/c. Try doing that and see if it still cuts out.

Another thought i just had is maybe the a/c thermo is on the fritz all on itself and thinks the cab is already to tempurature.

PS. I don't know much about a/c's and this is all speculation

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would just check and see where the coolant is leaking from and go from there....... dont pay a mech shop that much for something so simple.. i have changed mine ohhhhhhh..... 3 times now? taken it of 2 other times. trying to fix this Dexcool problem.. FINALLY got it fixed and flushed all green stuff in now. runs like a champ........ but anyways.. you can look in there and see all around the water pump to see if its leaking there... so if its the water pump you should be able to to tell. if it is... its simple to replace... takea bout 30min-1hour

·
Anybody got 20's?
5,731 Posts
ok, you said tried charging the a/c. turn the truck and a/c on and see if the a/c clutch cuts on and off. if it doesn't, unplug the wire going to the a/c and check to see if you have voltage there. if you do then the a/c should work unless there is something wrong with the compressor. if you don't take the wires off the pressure switch and jump them out and see if the compressor kicks in. if it does. then you have a bad pressure switch. you can leave them jumped out until getting a new pressure switch but you have to leave indoor fan at high speed just incase the indoor coil tries to freeze up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts