S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some suggestions for where I should install a 7" LCD screen in my s-10. Here in California, if the screen is within drives view, it's a $1500 fine for the first time and it goes up from there. So I want to put it somewhere that a cop cannot see it while I am driving. Also, I would like to be able to cover it so my truck won't get broken into. Any ideas?

·
Registered
382 Posts
You could tell the cop it's a navigation system-

Make a fake switch-panel and mount it near the screen to make it look like a nav system.
Hide a switch to disable the screen in case you're pulled over.
Tell 'em it doesn't work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an option. I was thinking of building some sort of console down by my ashtray. Would something like that work do you think? If so, what should I make the console out of?

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
I'm also trying to come up with a clever idea, for having it hidden, but very functional..

Kinda want to put it in the glove box, one of my ideas is:

And the screen on rollers, to when box is closed the screen is laying face, facing front of box (but leave a little room so you don't scratch the screen) and when you want to use it, open glove box, and pul out screen...

I need to think this through a little more, like about how to keep it up, make it so glove box doesn't get shut while its up, i dunno yet..

Other idea, is mount it right in the box, facing up, that way when box is open, you'll see screen, maybe even put a switch so it gives screen power when you open the glove box :-D

Trying to brainstorm some ideas.. They all have their ups and down, but atleast the cops can't see it, and interior will still have stock apearance from outside (thiefs)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Id say get a in dash 7IN then u can just shut off ure radio if u get pulled over and the monitor will go int othe dash...if not id put it down by the ashtray with a kill switch connected to it so if u do get pulled over u can kill it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinkin about making a console for down by the ashtray. Any idea how I would make that or do you know of a site that shows you how?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I too did the same kindof thing skyphos did, works and is hidden very well..Im moving it to my dash this winter tho...

·
At least it turns fast
1,190 Posts
I made a bracket for mine that goes in the glovebox, then when i open the glovebox it folds in there. It's good for anti-theft... you can definetaly see it though when driving.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's too out in the open, I wanted to put it down under my ashtray like skyphos has. Any idea how to make a console for that?

·
Registered
141 Posts
i was gonna say the visor also....that way, its not in plain view, but still very easy to get to...thats where i am gonna put mine...im just debating whether i want it on my side or passenger side

·
Registered
189 Posts
Im going to be putting 2, each in my visor, in my truck. Seems the most logical actually. I mean, how many cops come up and pull down your visor?

I got a question though, for those who are putting it in the glove box, wouldn't there be a glare on it if it were sunny out?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
bmxracer182 said:
I am doing the visor but now I need to know how to install it. Anyone have any tips?
Its already in the visor for ya dude... and there is only 3 wires... hooking it up is easier than playing with lego's man.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I already have it in the visor because I bought it from someone already mounted in a visor. I am going to recover it so it matches my truck. Any tips on how to recover it?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
u already have a visor correct?

take the material off and tranfer it to the other one!

voila! presto magico... you now have 1 visor with an LCD with fabric on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts