S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done staining my gauge lights red and i like it but it not really all that brint so i got to thinking, would it be possible to somone put like 2 or 3 red lcds back there behind the cluster to illuminate everything more and just wire them in with the lights so them just come on when you turn your lights on or iam i just a f00kin idiot? :confused:

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
LCDs are liquid crystal displays.....they don't put out any light at all, they have to be back-lit.

But judging by your post you mean LEDs. The answer to that would be heck yea, you can do that! I have been messing around with some LEDs in the past two days in conjunction with the blue LED GP.

They are easy to install if you know how to solder. You MUST use a current limiting resistor with LEDs cause hooked to straight 12 Volts they last about one second. If you want to do it I can check out parts available from Radio Shack and design it for you and tell you what to buy. But you must post some pictures of your install.

PM me if you want to do it!

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL....boy i feel like a dumb ass lol. I was thinking to myself as i typed it doesn't lcd stand for liquid crystal display but i was in a hurry when i typed it (mom was *****ing to get the comp lol). Iam definetly interested in doing it but i really dont know much about electronics (i can solder pretty good tho) so i would need some help with that.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
OK then, try to detail for me the set up you will try to use. What I need to know is what color LEDs, how many you want to use and if you want the high intensity type of LEDs. Get me the info and I'll swing by Radio shack the next time I'm out. I either post a design here in the thread or if you want really detailed instructions (theory behind the design) I'll have to e-mail it to ya!

Let me know.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Hey Rick! What's with the GP? How close are we to having enough people? :)

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
I'll check tomorrow to see if we have enough to make it worth our while.

·
Entoxicated Hoodlum
105 Posts
Hey Rick maybe you could help me too??
Im designing my own cluster ( custom guage faces, needles lights etc..) I wonder is there a way to custom light the needles. I got a hold of a guage cluster with a factory tach for my truck and already took off the needles and stripped them of that boring ass orange color. I was going to just paint them to contrast ( a green color to match the rest of the illuminations of the rest of my dash), but I saw that they make glowing needles for ricers and wondered if someone make it for us too.... IM pretty handy with things but dont know how to plan something like this....any ideas?? I would love it if that someone who makes it is me......
Any help would be greatly appriciated.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iam not really shure how i should set it up. Should i kept all the regular stock gauge lights (which i have glass stained red) and put the LEDs as extras to brighten it more or should i just replace all the stock lights with LEDs?... I want red ones and i would like to mount them some were behind the gagues like around were the stock ones are. Thanks for all your help so far man.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Stifflou:

Making those lightup needles is out. The needle has to have the LED element built into in and it has to be specially machined to reflect the light out of the needle in the direction of your eyes. Easiest thing to do is to try adapt one of the aftermarket or OEM gauges to fit your truck. From what I have read the newer cars have the Tack and Speedo driven electrically and that should make it possible to adapt. I'm not really up on the electronics that drive the newer tach and speedos because I have a first gen S-10 but I am sure that chevrolet (the cheap *******s) uses the same sender on similar transmissions so it may be easier than you think.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Atom1c:

I have no clue on how to mount them (cause I've never torn my gague pod apart.....wish you were local so I could help more) but I can give you a cheeter setup that I was using. I made an LED with really long wires (10') so that I could hook it up and moov it around to get an Idea of where I wanted to solid mount my LEDs. You could use this long wire setup to put an LED behind your gague pod and set the pod back in the dash to see if it will help. You can use tape to tape the LED into position. But again I have to go to Radio Shack to get exact part numbers...that is unless you took physics in H.S. or college and remember the electric circuit part.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help so far rhenry. Iam shure i will be able to figure out how to mount them but ill definetly need some help setting the circuit and stuff up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts