S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
6.0 Club
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to rig up my stock arms to lay on 22s until SD arms are released, will they work? I know what it takes to lay on 20s with stock arms, has anyone done it before?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
i would say just keep cutting till it lays. but make sure you know your limits, if your going to be driving it very much dont weaken them to much haha. you may see sparks when your not meaning to lay out.

·
Honest Abe's Fab Shoppe
11,738 Posts
some people say its possible, i don't see how. Mine lay 20's... but I was pushing it with that. To get the center of the hub 13" off the ground i was trimming like a mad man on the frame. and my lowers are modified... the uppers are pie cut.

·
Gone but not forgotten
5,882 Posts
BlackEsDime said:
some people say its possible, i don't see how. Mine lay 20's... but I was pushing it with that. To get the center of the hub 13" off the ground i was trimming like a mad man on the frame. and my lowers are modified... the uppers are pie cut.
werd.. my lowers are 2.25" tall now at their highest point.. And im trimmed at the frame clear back to right in front of the A-arm mount.. and im barely tucking.. The only way i could see you getting it too work was to make your arm hella skinny or put some sort of bend in it. And that doesnt sound like a good idea either way.

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
it can be done easily

project '86 lays 20's, the frame is trimmed with stock lower arms and angled uppers now, he's selling me the 20's and buying 22's for it

I'm modding the lower arms and trimming the bag cups more, and installing powerperformance upper balljoints, and it will lay 22's on stock arms

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
anythings possible, but its not easy. well, i guess its kinda easy because you just keep cutting the hell out of everything but then you have to do some serious reinforcing. i wouldnt bother if youre just gonna buy new arms..

·
Gone but not forgotten
5,882 Posts
98layinframe said:
Yes its possible.
Can you pie cut the lowers too? Sort of shape them the way an aftermarket tubular would look and reinforce them on teh sides and botom? I know that'd get the ball joint to rise and give you a little more frame clearance. Or would that screw ya somewhere else?

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
pie cut is done to relieve a binding balljoint, so you dont need to do that on the lowers, and it actually wouldnt get you anywhere.

the only easy mod that you can do without hacking up your frame is to cut the lower balljoint right off and step it up 1" or more and gusset the hell out of it, just like a body drop. kinda sketchy tho.

·
Gone but not forgotten
5,882 Posts
AVTekk said:
pie cut is done to relieve a binding balljoint, so you dont need to do that on the lowers, and it actually wouldnt get you anywhere.

the only easy mod that you can do without hacking up your frame is to cut the lower balljoint right off and step it up 1" or more and gusset the hell out of it, just like a body drop. kinda sketchy tho.
gotcha

i looked at some pics of my own.. and all that would really get ya is some wicked positive camber.. lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
AVTekk said:
I dont know about that man... unless its just my shitting balljoints, but when my truck lays out the lower joint os flexed out about as far as it can go. I would have to step notch and change the angle of the lower joint too if i wanted to layout on anything bigger then i have right now. :(
But yeah the easiest way to get the truck low without cutting the shit out of the frame is to step the end of the arm up about 1". HEres a pic i found online.

Attachments

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
for looks and longevity i guess.

its physically impossible for me to lay out, the stocks wont clear the headers.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
xtrmlow said:
that nothin just imagine if that was body dropped
Since when does a body drop have anything to do with camber?

·
!! TALK NOW !!
4,910 Posts
i have seen in person a guy laying out with 22's and stock arms.. He did what dave said.. he cut the ball joint off and stepped it up an 1'' or so.. i don't remrmber the number.. i wasn't paying to much attention when i heard him talking about it

yes.. it can be done.. it wasn't the prettiest looking thing but it was the first truck i've seen laying body w/ 22's with stock arms.. so he had probs.. hell i think they guy might be on here.. but not a clue of his name

1 - 20 of 40 Posts