S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys an gals, I have gone through a tank of GAS and this is what happened with the HPP3 installed and other MODS. I did some LEAD FOOT testing (burn outs/power punching) during the MPG test and I went 306mi when the fuel light came on. And then .6mi to get gas. I added 15.58gal and that comes out to 19.64mpg. I did 60% city and 40% freeway and this is on a 02 BLAZER X. And GET THIS? The fuel light was on, the needle was behind E, and I added 15.58gal, and my BLAZER's tank is 19gal? is there 3.42gal still in the tank? I never noticed it before WHAT THE HELL!!!!! WILL IT GO 58 MORE MILES? I think NOT. What do you thing? :thumbup:

3-Billet Bowtie
4-255/45/18 Pirelli Zero's on HALO rims
5-Boston Acoustics speakers in doors/dash
6-Pioneer 6x9's in the back seat area
7-K&N GEN II
8-FlowMaster 40series with 2 1/4 pipe Magnaflow SS tip
9-2/3 DROP with Belltech Spindles and Blocks
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
12-JL amp and one 10” JL subwoofer
13-SS mirrors WHITE, matching handles
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
AZX in PHX
189 Posts
Well I can tell you that I can go almost 400 miles (mostly freeway driving) with my mods, the most I have ever filled up is about 16-17 gallons.. I have taken my fuel needle well below the E before I filled up and I have never gone over 17 gallons!!

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zombie_97 said:
Well I can tell you that I can go almost 400 miles (mostly freeway driving) with my mods, the most I have ever filled up is about 16-17 gallons.. I have taken my fuel needle well below the E before I filled up and I have never gone over 17 gallons!!
Hey (Zombie_97) what mods do you have? Do you have a truck std, ext CAB, or a BLAZER? I think the trucks get better MPG's than the BLAZER's maybe it the weight. :angel:

3-Billet Bowtie
7-K&N GEN II
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
AZX in PHX
189 Posts
00 ext cab 4.3L Xtreme truck
Enigne mods:

K&N GenII FIPK
PowerAid TB Spacer
MarchPerf 2 pc pulley
BlackMagic EFan
JetChip II
Custom MagnaFlow exhaust
Taylor 8mm wires
160 tstat
Throttle Plate mod
EGR Restrictor

a few other minor mods I cant think right now..

When I put the GenII and TB Spacer on at the same time that improved my fuel economy the best.. I usually filled up at 300 miles per tank before that, now I go well over 300 miles per tank with that combo.. I am sure my other mods are helping out the fuel economy also but this made the biggest dif..

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used 91 octane gas with my test this is the highest I can get in my area and now I'm using 89 the power seems the same ( I CAN TELL) as the 91. Also what GAS are you using the 87 or 93? on the 02 they (HYPER-TECH) do not recommend the 160 stat.

3-Billet Bowtie
7-K&N GEN II
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
AZX in PHX
189 Posts
My first fill up from the dealership was premium fuel.. The only fuel that goes into my truck is premium.. So what if it costs 3 extra bucks..

I dont have anything HyperTech.. I want to get a programmer so I can reprogram my tires and speed limiter.. Other than that I dont need one..

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
photo - i drove 40 miles with the gas light on once so there is 3 or so gallons left in the tank when the light comes on :D

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(Zombie_97) and (Cynicx) THANKS for the info. After I check the 89 octane's MPG I will do POWER check with both 89 an 91 octane to see what is better. I have a place thats 3/4mile or so long with NO side streets. I will jump on it and run 1/8 or 1/4 miles and watch my trip meter with a stop watch in my hand to see what fuel will work the best with the HPPIII set at 87 octane. I check my trip meter on the freeway we have 1 mile markers in Cali. and it's on the money. I know the this test is not the best but it will give me a good idea whats the BEST for my MONEY. GAS is high in Cali and going up!!!!!!!! I can use the extra bucks on BLAZER MODS or BEER!!!! :thumbup:

3-Billet Bowtie
7-K&N GEN II
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
AZX in PHX
189 Posts
True dat.. I forgot you are in Cali.. Yea I hate when I have to pay the extra 10-15 bucks for premium fuel just because I am in Cali.. I try to avoid Cali when gas is high..

·
the Zen of S10
71 Posts
photo,

I have yet to utilize my HPP3, still have to get a new gasket for the infamous 180 degree tstat and a torque wrench. Did you feel an immediate gain in performance? I too live in CA but my PP3 does not have the dual fuel option, I assume yours does.

The main reason for my programmer was to recalibrate my speedo and odometer due to tire size difference from stock. I will be looking forward to better gas mileage considering the rising (gouging) price for CA gas.

killing two birds with one PP3: eventually the money saved on gas will pay for the PP3, and then the savings on gas will allow for greater beer purchases!

formula: if (1)HPP3 = mpg>price, then [(1)HPP3 X $/gal.] / psi. on gas pedal = >beer!!!:D

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
creamzilla said:
photo,

I have yet to utilize my HPP3, still have to get a new gasket for the infamous 180 degree tstat and a torque wrench. Did you feel an immediate gain in performance? I too live in CA but my PP3 does not have the dual fuel option, I assume yours does.

The main reason for my programmer was to recalibrate my speedo and odometer due to tire size difference from stock. I will be looking forward to better gas mileage considering the rising (gouging) price for CA gas.

killing two birds with one PP3: eventually the money saved on gas will pay for the PP3, and then the savings on gas will allow for greater beer purchases!

formula: if (1)HPP3 = mpg>price, then [(1)HPP3 X $/gal.] / psi. on gas pedal = >beer!!!:D
(creamzilla) as far as 91 or 89 octane I can't tell the difference in power. But after I installed the HPPIII it kicked the BLAZER in the A$$. I got lots of pull out of it compared to the STOCK setting. IT WORKS GREAT with my mods!!!!!!! I'm just dicking around with the GAS to see if it's worth buying 91 octane I'm thinking buy BEER SH$$. And you know what SUCKS (Zombie_97), we use to get 92 and 93 in the area for less MONEY. Also I like your FORMULA(creamzilla) thats my line of thinking.

3-Billet Bowtie
7-K&N GEN II
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I did my test on 89 octane and lost 3.50mpg. It's getting 16.13mpg with 89 octane. It looks like I'm staying with 91.

:angel:

3-Billet Bowtie
7-K&N GEN II
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Photo, the idea of a test is great but you need to run at least 3 tanks through it for the ecm to reprogram itself fully for the difference in octane. It's not an immediate thing. When I first switched to 94, truck ran like crap and mileage was horrible. After speaking w several people I waited 3 more tanks and it got better w each succesive tank. Otherwise, I think tests like that are a big help to all.

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
02REDXBLAZE said:
Photo, the idea of a test is great but you need to run at least 3 tanks through it for the ecm to reprogram itself fully for the difference in octane. It's not an immediate thing. When I first switched to 94, truck ran like crap and mileage was horrible. After speaking w several people I waited 3 more tanks and it got better w each succesive tank. Otherwise, I think tests like that are a big help to all.
It don't know it takes so long to adjust all my other car did it on the first few miles. If thats the the case there still is a big drop from the 89 to 91 if they both are still adjusting on my test, but I will run it longer. (THANKS) :angel:

3-Billet Bowtie
7-K&N GEN II
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
14-Shaved Emblems