S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Laid.
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knocked a hole not too big, but it drips... I plugged it up with soap.... anything else I can do??? :phil: :phil:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is the tank Metal, They have this stuff Called Metalox or Metal lox its some what like JB weld but a hell of alot stronger, We drill and tap this stuff it is really strong. Its a little pricy and im not sure where to get it. I got it on an oil Pan and a Fuel tank that has about 3000 miles on them and no problems at all. try doing a search on it if you are interested

·
Premium Member
16,419 Posts
Hah, bad thing. Other than the soap thing, no... :( Fuel cell?

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Just weld it up and you're good to go. :thumbup:

J/K a lot! Um...they make these gas tank repair kits, but I'm not sure how well they work. They're only a few bucks at the hardware store or wherever. Not sure if I'd trust em tho.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
Advance sells the kits, i think it's just like a mesh kit or somethin, alot of hillbillys who were too cheap to get a new one in their 1978 ford pickup swore by them

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
think of it this way... if u popped a hole in it once, and u repair it, it will just be that much easier to put a hole in the same spot next time. I'd say get a cell, or a 'new' tank from a junkyard.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
lol I have a spare tank laying around until I get a cell. But yeah there is this stuff in a little round tube that you just squish together and is hella strong, I used that to plug my radiator when it focked up (the radiator fell into the fan because my shroud broke from messing around with my bags too often).

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
how bout fix it and move the tank...then he cant put more holes in it...my bro did the same thing....the gastank repair kit was junk...nothing but a fiber glass mat and a 2part epoxy it eventually came off.....now it just has some jbweldwith a rag under so it doesnt hit the bad and leak again...cuz the vibration and what not kept causing it to leak havent had a problem since.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Questionis , did ya knock a hole in it from draggin, or from working around it? You can always get it welded then bring it to a radiator shop and theyll pressure test it.

·
I like mine with no shine
52 Posts
your best bet is to just hit up a used auto parts place........like I did

did it look like this at all?

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Lift up the mounting points for the crossmembers. I lifted mine up an inch. Just redrill the holes an inch higher up for the front xmember, and I assume do the same for the rear, just knock the rivets out. I've got the 'grater tho. It clears the frame now and still fits under the cab.

·
I AM A LUNATIC!
5,924 Posts
ill sell you a gas tank x-member that raises your tank 3/4" in the back. then just drill new mounting holes for the front tank bracket to raise it. its the one we use for our 5 link kit.

gas tank x-member $120.00

·
Registered
56 Posts
have yall ever heard of welding a gas tank up with it full of gas? A welder told me he has done it a couple of times u just have to make sure the tank is full so there not fumes, or something like that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i went to napa and got the xpensive repair kit it htink it was like $12 and it worked ****in great but i put the tank in teh bed after i fixed it so it would be outa harm

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
lilblazerjant said:
have yall ever heard of welding a gas tank up with it full of gas? A welder told me he has done it a couple of times u just have to make sure the tank is full so there not fumes, or something like that.
That's fine and dandy....but I still ain't weldin on it or gonna be ANYWHERE near you when you do it.

·
Laid.
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WEll, I looked and it's more of a dent with a tear and it just drips... so I rubbed a bar of soap on it and it clogged it... no leak for a full day. Good enough for now.... BTW, I aired it out on somthing or smacked an object in the road....I have noooo clue.. whatever it was, it was the size of a road marker...

·
AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME
2,031 Posts
dude, have you actually driven your truck more than a day since you bagged it without breaking something??? hehe anyway i wouldnt mess around, i'd work on a permanent fix for that pronto. i would do like av said, have it welded up and pressure tested if you dont feel like spending the cash on a new gas tank. otherwise i think you will probably wind up having to look around for someone selling one or order a brand new one, i think most junkyards puncture all the gas tanks when the vehicles come in. i could be wrong, but i do think that is the case. you could try PM'ing wayne, he lives an hour or so from you and may still have his old tank, i dunno. but anyway, get that sh*t fixed.... your truck may be down for a bit, but at least nothing else will probably break during that period of time!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts