S-10 Forum banner

KM346's build: the refrigerator

73K views 354 replies 53 participants last post by  Rhotpursuit 
#1 ·
Hey guys, since I've finally started my swap i figured it was time to make a build thread on here. I've spent the last year or so reading and collecting parts needed for my SAS swap. Im going to use the truck as my DD, and a weekend wheeler so i didnt want to build anything too radical, here goes...

Originally the plan was to do the swap to my 1997 GMC Jimmy. I bought it for 300 bucks with a spun rod bearing, I rebuilt the engine on the cheap and it has been my daily driver for the past 4 years.

BUT recently i came across a killer deal on this low mileage 2001 blazer, that literally has 100K less miles then the Jimmy. So i figured it was the perfect candidate to SAS! in the mean time i will continue to DD the Jimmy and plan to sell it when I'm finished with the swap.

new Blazer

the plan:
-YJ dana 30 4.10's, TJ one piece axle shaft conversion, new shafts with 760x u joints
-ORD kit
-44044's spring under
-astro box if needed
-stock yj steering
-xj pitman arm
-8.8 rear 4.10's
-spring over axle
-1st gen 233 t case
-1st gen explorer front d-shaft

Over the past year i have rebuild both axles which has included new axle shafts for both axles, wheel bearings/seals and new brakes. I also wire brushed em down and coated them in RustSeal.

So far i have the 10 bolt out of the truck, and the 8.8 mounted spring over. I used a 1500 silverado center brake hose, along with silverado right and left brake hoses mounted to the ford calipers. The center hose is 22" long and worked perfect mounted just like factory to the diff cover. I had welded on some custom brake hose mounting tabs for the right and left hoses before installation. Also k1500 rear shocks where used with new mounts welded to the tubes.

Tonight i ripped out the front axle and all the IFS crap to go with it.

More pics and info to come!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: KM346's refrigerator build

Love the look of it with the jeep wheels

#3 ·

Thanks, I've always loved those rubicon wheels. I originally was just going to run black steelies, but i came across those on craigslist and had to buy them. only thing that sucks is that 16 inch tires are more expensive...

#4 ·

Looking great. I always wondered when someone was going to run them wheels. Great start

#6 ·

Wasn't sure if i should include that one or not... but i did anyways haha.

The next step is to grind off those lower control arm mounts, which ill most likely do Sunday when i have time to work on it. Is it weird that I'm kinda nervous? no looking back right.

Im going to try to leave as much of that front cross member intact as i can, then maybe chop more of it off later if i have to.

#7 ·

looks good so far. those rims look like they are ment for the truck. liking the anco wiper cart. I'm sure American pickers will be visiting you soon, LOL...

#8 ·

haha yeah i got plenty of stuff, American pickers would probably love me.

there's no shortage of nostalgia that's for sure...

honestly most of the signs on the walls are reproductions, however there are a few originals that me and dad have came across over the past few years. The Pennzoil and Valvoline cans and the 6ft Texaco sign (in the pictures i posted earlier) being the coolest i think.

#9 ·

very small update... This morning before work i unbolted the idler arm that i wont be needing anymore and fitted the front cross member.

I think I might go out and buy a 90 degree drill like the one Billsduster used to drill the frame for the rear shackle mounts. The Y pipe makes things tight on the passenger side.

#10 ·

the 90* drill is sweet. it worked perfect when i drilled the shackle mounts and i didnt have to disco the exhaust or anything to get it up there. deff use one if you can

#11 ·

Yeah those wheels are sweet I'll probably use a set on mine
Any body got pics of those things on a first gen? Or a link?

Sorry for the small thread jack lol
Love seeing jeep parts on a non jeep and looking way better lol

#13 ·

I wouldnt buy a whole new drill. You can buy a right angle drill adapter at Sears for $15. Unless you want a right angle drill? I wasn't about to buy a new drill just to drill a couple holes in my frame. If it was something I would use a lot then I might buy one.

#14 ·

Well tonight i cut off the lower control arm brackets with my angle grinder. Man what a PITA that was. I have tomorrow off so im hoping to get a lot more done.

#15 ·

Looks awesome man!

#16 ·

Thanks Superflow... Your truck was a huge inspiration to me when i was planning to SAS, i think I've read through your build thread like 5 times lol. Is that thing getting a tranny this summer or what?

#17 ·

Today i Finished cutting everything off and shot the frame with a little black paint. I drilled out the frame and bolted up the driver side shackle hanger bracket. I have one leaf hanging, man i feel like I'm getting close!

The pass. side looks like its going to be a bitch to drill, i think i may end up dropping the y pipe to get that stoopid pre cat out of the way.
Also
I have a question for anyone with the ORD kit, did you use the factory skid plate hardware to bolt on the front crossmember? I feel like i should drill those holes out and put some 1/2 nuts and bolts. What do you guys think?

here are some pics

#18 ·

I hope to have a temp trans in her this summer (not sure if its good or not, might as well take a shot in the dark with it). I got huge expenses coming up too with going back to tech school to get my Law Enforcement cert (that starts in 2 months to the day), and not really being able to work while doing that, then I am getting hitched in less than a month. I am glad I can inspire someone to do the swap. It was definitely worth it, I just wish I could drive mine. It will be finished and wheeled very very hard when it is.

Your rig is going to be awesome!

#20 ·

I ended up buying that dewalt right angle drill, and i found a little stubby 1/2" drill bit that worked perfect... man what a life saver that was. The pre-cat was right in the way of drilling the bottom two holes, i could just barley make it work.

anyways I have some good news and some bad news...

Good news: rear shackle mounts are drilled, lined up perfect and bolted in for good. I wheeled the d30 over and have it resting on top of the springs. Man am excited, this thing is going to be awesome.

Bad news: When test fitting the d30 my passenger side axle tube was leaking gear oil like a siv. Apparently the seal that i used when i did the one piece axle conversion is fubar. Not really a big deal but im just going to have to rip the carrier back out and see whats going on.
Also
I have plenty of trimming left to do on the front cross member.:rant:

here are a couple pics...

#21 ·

Looking good. And that stinks about the axle seal.

#22 ·

Get a pair of these. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ALY-11102/ I have them. their OUTER tube seals Workth the money I knew the inner axle seal on the Pass side isnt the sight size and did u put it in the diff housing? i put mine into the disconnect housing like the OE seals were in the axle and also got the outer seals.

NO LEAKS FOR ME.

#23 ·

Thanks for the link contact... The seal that i installed was the inner seal behind the carrier on the passenger side. I got the part number from a Heep site that said it was supposed to fit. It was a PITA to get it seated right in the axle tube. Who knows maybe i messed it up when i was sliding the axle shaft in...

Was bored tonight after work so i figured id throw the U bolts on and put it on the ground to see how it looks...

IM PUMPED!!!

Now i gotta rip it all back apart to fix my leak and figure out my steering situation.

#24 ·

I on a disconnect axle the outer pass side shaft is larger the the 1-piece shaft. so when doing the swap I grabed two seals for a non-disconnect axle and installed in the original disconnect locations. when doing the swap i found pics showing a seal in the pass side diff housing but when i got my seals i knew it wouldnt fit. so i put the pass seal in the outer end of the disconnect housing. the shaft doesnt have a seal surface ground at that location but I havent had a problem. shouldnt with the outer tube seals. those grease up nice and their double sealed, also rebuildable.

#26 ·

i love it !!! looks like a stock rig , humm maby a new dayly driver for my wife :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.