S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i charged the battery when i changed all of them but the first alternator i got died 15 after driving dont know why but when i pulled it off there was plastic chunks falling out
the second my lights would dim and the bat light would flicker when stopped so i had it tested and it wasn't putting out enough amps so i got a new one
and now this one only lasted 15 min as well i go to get on the freeway and wrap it up to about 3400 rpms in second gear and theres the battery light and my guage dropped
but my guage with a working alternator would read like maxed out all the time it was always like that before i installed a summit tachometer too which im afraid had something to do with this someone told me aftermarket guages can cause problems but i dont see how

can anyone tell me if im missing something or if your supposed to break in an alternator maybe my volt guage still reads like 14 but the light is on and i did the alternator check by unplugging it and it turns off but i just dont know now i gotta get a new one tomorrow and cross my fingers maybe i need to take out the tach what do you think

·
Starting a new Club in WI
190 Posts
I really don't think the tachometer has anything to do with your alternator problems. There is no break in period on an alternator. Sounds to me like you've got bad wiring going into/coming out of the alternator and that's why you keep frying them. Check the wires with a Multi-meter and make sure the voltage is right and there's no shorts, cut wires, bad grounds, etc..............

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i found out it was my battery whatever, all those alternators were covered under warranty and im really good at changing an alternator now i think my guage was confusing me because it was jumped

1 - 4 of 4 Posts