S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma 4/5 drop Torque thrust wheels 4 cowl hood H3 hummer seat Skar audio system
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my son a 03 Sonoma from a private seller a few weeks ago, that only had 1 keyless entry remote. The remote only works when remote is within 5 feet or so, and sometimes has to be basically touching truck. I have replaced the batteries 2 times (one with a extra new battery that was in my truck for last year or two and then with a brand new battery just bought from store) still doesn't work from farther away. I am thinking about buying another remote or maybe even 2 more, but don't want to buy them if they are going to do the same thing. After buying the truck I am finding out that it is a mixture of different trucks, some things I knew were changed, some I didn't know that I wish I had known. Nothing major changed (as far as I know of so far) it still has factory drive train, that I was actually lied to about but whatever, so I am not 100% sure it was factory keyless on this truck, or they took it from another truck. I only bought the truck because my son wanted a S-10 or Sonoma, and I had one very similar to it when I was in high school, and he want to fix it up like mine was, so its more of a bonding thing working on it with him so any advise would be great. Already got screwed on buying the truck as it will soon need both motor and trans replaced as it has 267K on them, so I am trying to go about this as cheap as possible. No he doesn't have to have keyless since none of mine did, until I was much older but I still want to fix it.

Any advise on what could be causing this? If so how to fix it?

Also where can I find the remote codes? The 1 remote it did come with must be a replacement case or something because there is no codes on case and I didn't see any on the inside.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Easy fix.
Sounds most likely just like a worn out key fob.

Search eBay for your make and model and search key fob.

The last said I got for a similar truck was only like 15 to $20 and they're self programmable you don't need any codes there's a certain procedure that you do where you insert the key hold down a key fob and then hold and release a lock button and it's more specific then I can tell you right off the bat but it's easy.

Someone else can probably give you specific instructions or they come with the key fob themselves or YouTube how to set your key fob on your make and model.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I just bought my son a 03 Sonoma from a private seller a few weeks ago, that only had 1 keyless entry remote........... how to fix it? Also where can I find the remote codes?
drive to any GM dealer across the country and in an hour or so you'll have brand new remotes that work as they should.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Goto a stealership to ripped off big time also and most of the time they dont even have time for a walkin to even see you. Maybe if you get lucky and get someone thats going to get up and do something for you. Unless in youre in a small small town in rural america which is far and few between and even those places can be crowded.
The stealership is that LAST place you want to go.Not recommened unless you like wasting money and you've already tried all the possibilties if you pursue them.

Thats why we're here.

Not to be sent to a dealership

1 - 5 of 5 Posts