S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 xtreme 2.2, 5 Speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i`m a new guy from germany and hope someone could help me.
I bought a 99 S10 xtreme with a 2.2 with 5 speed. My Problem is, i only have 1 key for the car that works realy bad on the ignition lock.
I will replace the ignition lock and want to have the same key as for the doors. but i do not have the code for the key system.
Also i have no paperworks where i can have look.
Is there any way to get the original key code? Please help me. Thanks a lot.
Regards Arno

·
Been there Done it
8,997 Posts
When I locked my only key in my 04 2500 I took the title, bill of sale is not acceptable, to my Chevy dealer and they cut me a new key for $10. He did not give me the code just the key. I assume that's for security reasons.
On our 2003 Audi we had to take the title to the Audi dealer and they had to connect their computer to the car and directly with Audi in Ingolstadt to get the code. It cost $200. They explained they do it that way because of a huge theft problem in Russia. We sold the car eventually because everything on it was that overpriced to fix.
If you are replacing the the lock cylinder you'll need to take that to a lock smith so he can then change the tumblers to match your new GM key. The replacements come with their own keys. IDK where you can buy a lock already keyed to your code.
Ask at the GM dealership. They might be able to order one. You still have to do the security relearn procedure after installation.
Our 02 Blazer needed a new cylinder and I just notched the door key's head so you can tell which is which.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,336 Posts
That might be a little inconvenient for him since he's in Germany.

·
Been there Done it
8,997 Posts
I realize that he is in Germany, but they have to have GM dealers of some kind just like we have Audi dealers here.

·
Registered
1999 xtreme 2.2, 5 Speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Oldeerslayer for your reply, but i do not have the original us title. I only have the german Title an in my aerea is no chevy/GM dealer. In my old Opel cars there was the key code stamped on the trunk lock, so i hade have the hope it is similar at chevrolet cars n trucks. I found a stamp on the ignition lock maybe it is. So my lock smith could make me also new keys with his web based key cutting machine where all manufacturers have there key codes placed.

·
Been there Done it
8,997 Posts
As long as it's a legitimate government issued title that shouldn't be a problem.

50 years ago they used to have tags in the keys with the code on them that you were supposed to punch out and save on a separate little key ring. The dealer I worked for even had a little punch machine for knocking those code tags out of the keys. There was also a place to write the codes in your owners manual. Unfortunately it didn't take thieves long to learn to look in the owners manual for the codes and a lot of the code tags were often in the glove box as well. Gm wised up to that eventually.
It's like any other security issue the bad boys get smarter then the good guys have to get even smarter. My 2016 Equinox now has the reverse cut keys that I hated on the Audi. But they are harder to copy. Also more expensive because the machine costs so much to cut them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts