S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
If you have an intact ground, but you have corrosion, rust, grease/oil on it? how do you tell when you need to actually replace parts like a cable or washer or wire or bolt?

What I've been doing currently is just taking them off and Sanding with a piece of sandpaper maybe spray some electronic cleaner on there cuz that's all I had on me and then touch some dielectric grease when I put them back. I've heard that baking soda is good?

also just a side note I found three more grounds on this truck that I never knew were there before and one is right near the fuel filler neck but you have to take the bed off to see it I think and then also to grounds near the rear tail wear the rear wiring harness mounts, I'm curious to see where those grounds are accessible from the ones that are above the oil filter too, seems like it's on accessible with the alternator off.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
probe the cable with multimeter a couple inches from the terminal or connector
put the other end of multimeter lead on the negative battery terminal.
you should read very low dc voltage.This is with a load on that circuit.
The higher the reading the poorer the ground connection is.
Can also soak the connector in Coke or Pepsi,just neutralize with baking soda.
I like to use a contact grease such as no ox ide to seal it up and prevent corrosion

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
821 Posts
clean as DD described above- a cola for a light acid bath after heavy dirt/rust removal.then the baking soda to neutralize the acid. then you can use dielectic grease or they due make a battery contact protection spray(Permetex Red).If you really want that sucker to say good- clean well - reattach and OVER spray the connection with something like Rustoleum Rust Inhibitor.PS - there are a few of those light ground like the one at the filler neck for the discharge of static electricity.

·
Super Moderator
20,496 Posts
Ditto. You can also cut a piece above the coated part and see if corrosion is built up through the cable. I had to replace mine when I saw that.

IF you had to do that, good timing to upgrade to Big 3.

·
Administrator
22,355 Posts
I mix it with water so that it's kinda soupy another dip it, pour it, or brush it on. It doesn't hurt to leave it on for awhile. It will bubble like crazy, then eventually subside. Rinse well and put the topping of your choice on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts