S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Father of 3
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to clean my [email protected] filter and am out of the cleaner and was wondering if anyone has used anything besides the filter charger cleaner? Would a mild dish soap and warm water work? Thanks

·
Mustang lover
30 Posts
I'm sure you could use a watered down degreaser and it would be fine.

On a side note, someone on this forum mentioned he picked up 4 mpg only with K and N, now i've used K and N's for years and "Maybe" got 1mpg more out of it, is there truth to this 4mpg more story with these 4.3's?

·
stock is the new fixed up
530 Posts
use some paint thinner to get the grease and dirt off, then after most of the dirt is off wash it in hot soapy water, then rince and airdry completely before putting new oil on....thats how i clean my dirtbike filter and it works wonders.

·
Got Beer?
1,599 Posts
You do not want to use paint thinner on that. I would just wait until you can go out to Autozone or any other decent parts store and pick up the kit for 10 bucks.

·
mine drags on the ground
2,382 Posts
none what so ever
the kid i bought my truck from swore by it, i took it out and was fine, on another note my cousin races ASA cars (couple steps down from NASCAR) anyways he dyno'd his car with and without a k&n he actually had more horses with the plain paper filter than the k&n

·
32,797 Posts
Icepick said:
I'm sure you could use a watered down degreaser and it would be fine.

On a side note, someone on this forum mentioned he picked up 4 mpg only with K and N, now i've used K and N's for years and "Maybe" got 1mpg more out of it, is there truth to this 4mpg more story with these 4.3's?
My Blazer was getting almost 300 miles on a full tank of gas. After I put a K&N cone filter on, it now gets over 320. This mileage is on long road trips.

·
Mustang lover
30 Posts
Tks, that's kind of what i figured. I just dont get why some people exaggerate things to make themselves look better. I mean they still have to look in the mirror so why lie lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maybe 1 more mile per gallon butt they add like 50 more HP

?????? You were joking right???????? 50hp?????

Please tell me you were joking.........please.....

·
Registered
422 Posts
They will add 50 more hp as long as you put the k&n stickers in a clearly visible spot.Its all in the aerodynamics bro lol.:twiggss:

·
Registered
10 Posts
whitey97, your right about the K & N filter not making the some numbers on the dyno he have also tried this on our CASCAR ( kinda the Canadian NASCAR series) and the WIX paper filters make more power than a K & N filter. These were done with back to back test with every possible measurables variable kept constant.

·
3,255 Posts
The filter cleaner comes with special oil that is supposed to be applied to the filter... i wouldn't use soap or anything else than the filter cleaner you can buy at any local automotive store. The directions are very strict about what to use to clean it.

·
Father of 3
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason that I was asking was because I pulled the filter out at work and wanted to clean it off right then and there. I have plenty of oil left over from my previous kit and did not want to have to buy another kit and have more oil lying around. I went out and bought another kit and cleaned it.:headbang:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Actually foam filters will flow better than a cotton based filter will.I don't know about the paper being better but I have heard that.It would be interesting to see some dyno numbers from all different types and styles of filters.

·
stock is the new fixed up
530 Posts
digital_xtreme said:
The filter cleaner comes with special oil that is supposed to be applied to the filter... i wouldn't use soap or anything else than the filter cleaner you can buy at any local automotive store. The directions are very strict about what to use to clean it.
eh, thats just cause K&N wants you to buy their filter...and keep buying kits to recharge it, thats all. but yeah, you do need the oil on it after you clean it (catches the smaller dusty particles).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts