S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I use to be a supercharged 4.3 but got tired of going slow, so last week I went to the turkey run at Daytona inside the speedway. It was huge, I looked around forever not really finding anything to sute my need or budget but then john(97se-r) spotted this guy carrying a 383 shortblock on a waggon for sale. he wanted 1400 for it and it was new. The guy owns a speed shop in west palm, and the block was built with keith black pistons now I'm looking for a set of alumm. heads and the intake, carb, etc and it'll be under way. Oh by the way I jewed the guy down to 1100:evilg:

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
niiiiiiice. i want a ZZ383 when i can afford one. gonna go with FastBurn aluminum heads?

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure yet what i'm going to go with, going to take it to my local speed shop and go over the best setup for it, cam, head, intake man.,etc. that way i'll know everything will line up right and is compatable. BTW pic of progress will come soon.

·
12,507 Posts
its nice to hear of someone going V8, but not the LS1/LT1 route. what did you do with your superchraged 4.3?

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the supercharger off and sold it to onw member on here, and then he turned around and sold it to another member on here who lives in hawaii. So it's making it's way around.

·
12,507 Posts
gotta change the name now...

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'll come up with something.

·
Muppet Baby Member
4,261 Posts
Nice score. I agree with MuddyS10, nice to see someone goin a different route for once. 383 is good solid proven power. (when built right, of course, but I have a feeling this one is in good hands)

·
12,507 Posts
are you going with carb'd or fuel injection? when i get the ZZ383, its carb'd, but i want to convert to MPFI, and was wondering if you had heard of any kits to do that.

·
i wanna go fast
656 Posts
Put on a ramjet intake or a TPI.

·
12,507 Posts
TPI....ramjet.....egh. ugly. ill take the TPI.

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah you can go fuel injection but if i do that my damn engine will be 5 to 6k before i know it, I'm building it right and taking my time, I am going to go carbed just because of simplicity and price. I'm puttin alum heads for sure, as well as built to handle a 100 to 150 shot of spray I'm shooting for 500 to 550 hp. The only thing i won't be doing or paying for is the roll cage b/c as some of you may know i rolled my 01 jimmy, and my dad does'nt want this one to be casket on wheels. Me and 97se-r will be doing the rest of the project on our own.

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any of you guys out there running alumm. heads, or know any brand to suggest with the best intake manifold setup.

·
12,507 Posts
FastBurns are aluminum, thats all i know.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I heard the fastburns untouched suck! The flow numbers are far worse than a set of stock vortecs. When I was buying heads I first thought about those. My best friend works as a tech at a chevy dealer and the parts guys and several other guys all told us that would be the worst thing I could do. So needless to say I bought a stock set of vortecs and with the money I saved, had them ported, got a valve job, machined for bigger springs, put in screw in rocker studs, and still saved about $100

·
Registered
321 Posts
97s-dime4.3 said:
Any of you guys out there running alumm. heads, or know any brand to suggest with the best intake manifold setup.
I ran the Edelbrock performer rpm's, great heads I just out grew them.Now I'm running AFR 220's

Look into:
Edelbrock RPM's
Edelbrock E-Tec's (vortecs x 10)
AFR 190's or 195's (pricey)

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Randy, the edelbrock performers rpm's will take what im going to throw at them. What did you run on them and what time's if you don't mind me asking. Hey I just realized you live in Fl. let me know what tracks you run, ever been to desoto speedway, that's where we do most of are running

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'll be in Bradenton this Sunday.The track is 60 miles from here.

With the 406 the same as it is now Except the 2" headers (had Hooker 1 5/8),I went 11.18 on the motor and 10.17 on a 250 shot.After i changed the TH 350 to a TH400 and added a 10 pt. cage it slowed to 11.35 and 10.40's.

The heads worked perfect all I did was some porting on them,cut the seats for bigger springs and a couple of valve jobs.I ran them for 7 years and now they're on a buddies 327,They still have all the original parts including the springs.His 78 Grand Am (Malibu) went 12.80's first time out.

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn, I really don't know what to expect on times, i'd like to run 150 shot on the motor i expect the motor to put out at least 400hp. and i'm puting a roll cage in as well, and going to run a 700r4 tranny, have'nt figured out the gear ratio yet because i don't know what size slicks i'm going to run. I've never drove a nitrous car yet either so that will be a trip, i've drove 12 second cars before though. I'll have to look those heads up and see what they are gonna run me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts