S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just inherited a s-10 pickup with the 2.2 motor, its a little sluggish to crank up and only gets up to roughly 20 mph. Does anyone know what could cause this? It also has a code for a misfire.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
142 Posts
Start with the basics, check the fuel pressure, could be a clogged fuel filter, clogged injectors.

Fuel filter is like $10, replace it. Even if it is not the problem I am willing to bet it is due for being changed to begin with.

Could also be a clogged catalytic converter.

·
time to get cereal
4,284 Posts
What year is it? If it's a flex the fuel filter is not $10, but still worth replacing.

Reactions: Gen210

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
142 Posts
its a 2000 model
Start with a fuel filter, its cheap, it's easy and no matter what probably needs to be done either way it's basic maintenance and should be done every 30,000-40,000 miles. I will say if the line is rusted which these trucks seem to always do by the fuel filter be prepared to cough up another $15-20 for a fuel line repair kit such as the Dorman one.

·
time to get cereal
4,284 Posts
When you say sluggish to crank, is it slow to turn over or does it just take a long time to start up? 2000 models came in both flex and non-flex, the 8th digit of your VIN will tell you what you have. VIN4 is the LN2 non-flex motor and VIN5 is the L43 flex fuel model. That will dictate which filter yours needs. The flex filter has the fuel pressure regulator in it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
2.2 motor, its a little sluggish to crank up and only gets up to roughly 20 mph
fuel filter is a good check/replacement. but from there id rent a fuel pressure gauge and a compression tester. you can get these for a small deposit which you get back upon the toll return, so essentially they are free. 2.2s are known for 'blowing' head gaskets. id pull the spark plugs, and do a compression check. honestly id do this before doing fuel filter. the 2.2 is a good running engine overall, but given the chance and the head gasket will let go

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd look to the vacuum as well - get a vacuum gauge and make sure you're not dealing with a significant vacuum leak. Check the plumbing for the intake around and after the throttle body. Look at the vacuum line to the power brake booster.

·
Registered
1987 S10, 2001 Blazer, 1984 Corvette, 1978 C10, 1990 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang GT
9 Posts
I would start just like these guys. Depending on how long it's been sitting or how well you know the truck might change the order I do them in.

#1 Check fuel pressure, Change the fuel filter. If filter is stopped up I would drop the tank and clean it out. Dirt kills fuel pumps & injectors
#2 Check plugs for oil, water or gas fouling. Check oil to make sure there is no water in oil.
#3 Inspect plug wires
#4 scan for misfire code (free at most any auto parts store)
#5 Check compression & vacuum
#6 Come up with a plan to repair starting with the least expensive route.

Fuel filter change, oil change, change of spark plugs, spark plug wire and air filter are all inexpensive and can make a huge difference on a little engine. I am curious what your misfire code is. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've found that the 2.2 sounds like crap without a cat (i.e. punched out). So if you're thinking of just gutting the thing, you may not like the way it sounds. When I got my 99 2.2, the cat was punched out by the PO which I didn't discover until the body of the cat split and I replaced it. With an aftermarket cat in place, the truck sounded a lot less like a "fart box". If I had to recommend a "high performance" exhaust set up (as far as a 2.2 will take you) that still sounds ok, it would be a cat and a straight pipe instead of a muffler. The OEM muffler on these trucks are very effective on making the truck sound "good" but are very expensive to buy. There's a lot of discussion on this forum on 2.2 exhaust set ups. Enjoy your truck!

·
Registered
98'S10 LS
24 Posts
Personally I like to run gutted cats. It acts like an expansion chamber and increases low end torque. A muffler change will make it sound better.

·
time to get cereal
4,284 Posts
Gutting your cat isn't going to do anything but make your truck run and smell like a garbage heap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gutting your cat isn't going to do anything but make your truck run and smell like a garbage heap.
The smell may be true but on my 2.2l it made it run great since it was so clogged that it wouldn't get above 2-3k rpm. Also, it'll sound like hot garbage with the factory muffler. I hated every min of driving that truck after gutting the cat, but it solved the not being able to run issue until the frame broke 4-500 miles later...

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,097 Posts
The smell may be true but on my 2.2l it made it run great since it was so clogged that it wouldn't get above 2-3k rpm. Also, it'll sound like hot garbage with the factory muffler. I hated every min of driving that truck after gutting the cat, but it solved the not being able to run issue until the frame broke 4-500 miles later...
Why not just replace the cat...like you should?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why not just replace the cat...like you should?
Because at the time I had no disposable income to pour into the truck. Considering it's fate just a month or two later, it was a wise decision. I learned a long time ago to be very cautious dumping any money into a cheap vehicle, if it's under $1500 or so all it gets are items that solve issues involving not being able to use it. Living in emissions free states my whole life has given me the attitude of "leave it be, remove if broken" when it comes to evap lines, canisters, cats, etc.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,097 Posts
The environment will thank you I’m sure.

·
time to get cereal
4,284 Posts
I mean, breathing in raw fuel is super good for your health too. I guess you don't plan on reselling said cheap vehicles, they'd be worth more not hacked up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not arguing that how I go about messing with things is good, healthy or anything like that. If I was a man with wealth, I'd gladly replace a cat with another one despite it costing upwards of 50% of the car's value, if only to keep the exhaust nice and quiet. However, when one is in a position where it's either pay to keep the lights on for another month or replace a cat, you pay the bill and figure out how to keep the vehicle moving with what's leftover. It's hard to worry about reducing the resale value of a sub $1k vehicle by $50 when your paycheck is on the line.

There was a period in my life where I had 2 working beaters, so I could afford to have one down while 'waiting on parts funds'. Those days were nice, although rose-tinted glasses are a b***h.

·
Registered Offender
661 Posts
Ask the guy sitting behind his Lycoming O-360 how stinky the exhaust is. It's not likely a substantial concern.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts