S-10 Forum banner

Just got the 03 longbed parking brake pedal goes down and does not release

825 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  oldeerslayer 
#1 ·
i pull the release and then i can lift the pedal up,

looks like the cable is slack under the truck with no tension, i searched all over the web, any comments , please and thanks

#2 ·
The pedal should come back up when you pull the release regardless of what is going on underneath. So new parking brake unit needed or maybe the old one just needs to be lubed up in the right places.

As for the loose cable underneath, assuming it it not broken and is still attached properly at the rear brakes and at the adjuster, then it needs to be adjusted at the adjuster (per pic, not an S10, but same general idea)

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

#3 ·
The pedal should come back up when you pull the release regardless of what is going on underneath. So new parking brake unit needed or maybe the old one just needs to be lubed up in the right places.

As for the loose cable underneath, assuming it it not broken and is still attached properly at the rear brakes and at the adjuster, then it needs to be adjusted at the adjuster (per pic, not an S10, but same general idea)

thanks for your response, ok i loosened the e brake pedal assembly the other night and did not know it should return on it's own, thinking the cable sprig does that

however the slack is more that the adjusting bolt range underneath...I believe, and no it is not broken

i did read somwhere that the rear brakes are seized? is the ebrake separate from the rear brakes? like on disc brakes, my rears are drums

again thanks

View attachment 366246

#5 ·
Tire Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

ok just got back from under the car, there are 2 cables joined on a piece of metal with an adjusting bolt, i puled on each cable and i can feel/hear the drums moving, so they are no siezed

there is too much slack on the cable even with the ebrak pedal all the way to the floor

however i found an additional approx 8" length of cable joined in between the first ( at the ebrake pedal) to the second cable( towards the rear of the car)

i don't think it suppose to be there
White Wheel Hood Automotive tire Bumper

#12 · (Edited)
If you are able to get that much range (i.e. "i took off the extension and back the nut on the adjuster all the way and now it's too short"), I am assuming you mean the 8" extension is too short and you can't get ot back on after backing the adjuster nut all the way. That sounds to me like you have all the adjustment you need available to you. Just put the 8" extension back in and adjust the adjuster (parking brake OFF, i.e., disengaged) until the cable is tight (not too tight).

Also, can you confirm that the parking brake assemly is operating correctly? I.e., click-click-click... when you engage (push down on it), and stays down until you release it by pulling the parking brake release handle, afterwhich it should pop back up to the disengaged position?
____
As for the RockAuto link request, you need to look yourself as I don't know all the details of your truck

#10 ·
A short bed has none. A long bed has the 8" extension. And I believe the ext cab has the 12" one. It's cheaper for GM to use everything the same and just put in those extensions when the truck is longer than a short bed.
If your adjuster can't remove all the slack you need to be sure the shoes aren't worn out.

#13 ·
no the parking brake does not click, that is what started me to look at the problem, and once down will not come up until is both release and pull it up by hand, and

to correct you, i lengthen the adjuster after removing the 8" cable and the ends of the remaining cable don't reach each other

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.