S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got done painting the blazer and there a a few spots where there are little clumps over the body and the hood is full of them because its hot as hell out and the paint was drying in the gun.i had to keep thinning it out. will color sanding take it out??

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also im holding off on clearing it because should i color sand first or should i spray over the little lumps with the clear and then sand??

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how long should i weight till the paint drys to color sand

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
until its completely dry, if theres any solvents in it it will sand funny, it will gum up the paper (use 1000 grit by the way) and make like balls a paint, give it lots of time to dry, or use a heat lamp, the last time i have to sand something out of a base coat, i think i let it dry for about 45 minutes while i did something else

and some colors (for some reason) take longer to dry than others, most notibly reds and silvers, i cant explain why they do... but they do

·
your opinion sucks
2,890 Posts
Sounds like you used the wrong reducer. Let it set for a day, go back sand it down and reshoot that color. If it's metallic, you'll need to shoot the whole thing to match it out.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i used a medium reducer that came with it but its like 95degrees out side.the rest of the paint is ruined i had to order a new gallon should be here in a few days. thanks guys.

·
Registered
437 Posts
well is it a catlyzed paint... or just a base clear? if its metalic did you strain it when you put it in the gun.... could be metalic clumps. was the gun clean when you sprayed..... could be clumps of old dried up paint from in the guns passages.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is metallic and i didn't strain it that could be part of the reason but the paint seemed to be getting to hard to fast i would have to keep unclogging the gun.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
this sounds like a single stage paint with bad or the wrong activator

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
5,297 Posts
this sounds like a single stage paint with bad or the wrong activator

Joe. Wouldn't thins be along the same lines as the same problem I had. You know, medium reducer and 90*+. I switched to slow reducer and shoot the paint in the middle of the night now when the temp is around 80*, then it comes out perfect now.

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
5,297 Posts
just got done painting the blazer and there a a few spots where there are little clumps over the body and the hood is full of them because its hot as hell out and the paint was drying in the gun.i had to keep thinning it out. will color sanding take it out??
Does the paint feel rough and textured like a light grit sand paper?

I shot mine in too high of a temp environment with medium reducer and mine felt like 220 grit sand paper. I had to wet sand the whole thing and reshoot. This time with slow reducer.
I also monitored the garage temp during the day and found that shooting in the middle of the night was the best temp. Around 80*. But, then I had another problem. The light in the garage attracted bugs. Shit if I had a bug land right in the middle of the fender. So, I actually shoot now in the real early morning before the sun comes over the horizon and beats down on the garage, cause early morning seems to be when the bugs go to bed, lol.

One thing I learned about shooting in your garage is that without the luxury of the a climate controlled sealed and ventilated booth, you are really fighting the elements and environment. So, you need to experiment and find a happy medium where the environment correlates to the best shooting conditions you can get given the situation. It'll save paint by not botching shit up.

I wish i had a booth but,...............no avail. Garage paint jobs can still come out bad ass but I think it becomes a little more of a juggle logistically planning out how you shoot and what you shoot to figure out how much paint to mix while not crowding the garage and have you bumping into fresh paint.

For instance, And I'm no pro-painter so flame all you guys want. This is based on a 20 x 20 garage.

But, I found that pulling everything out of the garage and only hang the hood, fenders tailgate and bumper in the garage. This left me enough room to walk around to each and spray them, but not close enough together that overspray from one effects the other. And, I realized that a about 1.5quarts (mixed I believe that makes a little over 2 quarts @ 4:1:1 with slow reducer and 80* temp) allowed good even full coats over each item. Actually, 3 coats each. 1st one, then 15 minute flash then a slightly heavier coat, 15 minutes flash then a final and slightly heavier coat and then clean and break down the gun.

Then I found that 1.3quarts did a good job covering the cab minus the doors.

Then 1/2 quart for the doors

I still have the bed to do but I predict I'll probably mix up about 1.3quarts for the bed.

Either way, the strongest lesson I learned so far was the reducer used for the environment shot.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is there any why to dilute the paint down more with thinner.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
give some information........

what kind of paint,for example

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
new paint should be here on Monday i was thinking about getting a window unit air condition and putting it in the garage to cool it down think that would help?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts