S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Typhoon a lil over a week ago...and on the way home realized it was pissing coolant in the passenger floorboard. Apparently the heater core busted, and was probably already busted when I got it, even though they claim that it wasn't when I called them back. My first question is how much is this going to cost me? It seems to be a very common problem, but a PITA one to get to from what I have researched. Also, what other things should I have checked on this type of vehicle? I looked it over before I bought it, but apparently I didn't drive it enough for the heater core to be a problem when I test drove it. Just wondering what else I may have missed. Thanks.

Cam

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought a Typhoon a lil over a week ago...and on the way home realized it was pissing coolant in the passenger floorboard. Apparently the heater core busted, and was probably already busted when I got it, even though they claim that it wasn't when I called them back. My first question is how much is this going to cost me? It seems to be a very common problem, but a PITA one to get to from what I have researched. Also, what other things should I have checked on this type of vehicle? I looked it over before I bought it, but apparently I didn't drive it enough for the heater core to be a problem when I test drove it. Just wondering what else I may have missed. Thanks.

Cam
First thing you should do is head over to syty.net Any and all questions you have about the ty will be answered there. The heater core is a pain in the ass, but is relatively cheap to fix compared to most stuff on these trucks. One major thing to check is your vacuum lines. If they are stock, replace them, even if they dont look bad. Especially the ones controlling the boost solenoid. Its on the turbo, should have a weatherpack connector on it and hopefully two vacuum lines, the bottom port on the right side will either be blank(likely) or have a foam filter(very unlikely unless its a pristine low mile truck) If that solenoid isnt hooked up, you have no boost control and can spike the engine and blow it up. I would also definitely replace the ignition system, new cap, rotor, plugs and wires. These trucks eat them up fast, and they are finicky about the ignition.

That should get you started and then as you come across things syty.net is where you will find the answers.

And post up some pics, everyone likes pics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been to syty.net and have done some looking around and some searching. I found out that it was the heater core from syty.net, but didn't see a price to fix the problem anywhere. They won't finish my registration so that I can post anything though. Here is somewhere else that I knew had some stuff about the Sy's and Ty's. I will have the vacuum lines and the ignition checked while the heater core is being fixed. I will try and get some pics up. Sorry, just pissed about the heater core right now. Thanks.

Cam

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
I'd suggest getting a manual, and heater core isn't too bad to do, just time consuming and will require you to remove the dash as already stated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just the underside of the dash... Not the whole thing. I just did mine, along with welding in floor boards, rockers panels and front body mounts. Gatta love new England :-/

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have been to syty.net and have done some looking around and some searching. I found out that it was the heater core from syty.net, but didn't see a price to fix the problem anywhere. They won't finish my registration so that I can post anything though. Here is somewhere else that I knew had some stuff about the Sy's and Ty's. I will have the vacuum lines and the ignition checked while the heater core is being fixed. I will try and get some pics up. Sorry, just pissed about the heater core right now. Thanks.

Cam
As often as the heater cores go out, it is not really that hard to believe that it died after you bought it. Poor design leads to premature failure.

You are looking at about 30 bucks for it to do yourself.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Is the heater core any different to change in the reg s10's then the sy/ty? If not its not bad at all I changed mine last week in under a hour just pulled the bottom of the dash off

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd suggest getting a manual, and heater core isn't too bad to do, just time consuming and will require you to remove the dash as already stated.
I may end up getting a manual, but I don't know that I will be attempting this fix. I just want it fixed and done right.

Cam

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just the underside of the dash... Not the whole thing. I just did mine, along with welding in floor boards, rockers panels and front body mounts. Gatta love new England :-/
I'm not anywhere near NE, but the Camaro I'm selling came form New York. I had to have the floor pans replaced because I could Fred Flintstone it after I pulled the carpet up to see how bad it was.

Cam

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As often as the heater cores go out, it is not really that hard to believe that it died after you bought it. Poor design leads to premature failure.

You are looking at about 30 bucks for it to do yourself.
Well I guess it makes me feel a lil bit better to know that they may not have screwed me.

And how much would I be looking at if I have a shop fix it?

Cam

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well I guess it makes me feel a lil bit better to know that they may not have screwed me.

And how much would I be looking at if I have a shop fix it?

Cam
Its a fair amount of labor, but not hard. If it were me, I would not pay a shop to do it. I swapped an entire blazer interior in one day, dash included. But I bet they charge 5 or more hours to do it, and at 80+ an hour it wont be cheap. Plus if you keep it, you will know how to do it next time. There are some good tutorials on pulling the dash both here and syty, its not hard, just tedious.

If you plan on owning a ty, you will be working on it, so its best to learn how to do stuff yourself or you will be broke. I have had mine for a year, and its never been down for more than two days, but its little things here and there. All things in the engine compartment are a pita. As you can see, they stuffed 10lbs of shit in a 5 lb box. Its the most fun vehicle I have ever had, and driving it makes the work worth it. But everything requires you to move 4 other things to get to it. Dont let me intimidate you about these rigs, they are fun to own and if you like tinkering with vehicles you will be happy. But if you pay others to do the work it will add up very fast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its a fair amount of labor, but not hard. If it were me, I would not pay a shop to do it. I swapped an entire blazer interior in one day, dash included. But I bet they charge 5 or more hours to do it, and at 80+ an hour it wont be cheap. Plus if you keep it, you will know how to do it next time. There are some good tutorials on pulling the dash both here and syty, its not hard, just tedious.

If you plan on owning a ty, you will be working on it, so its best to learn how to do stuff yourself or you will be broke. I have had mine for a year, and its never been down for more than two days, but its little things here and there. All things in the engine compartment are a pita. As you can see, they stuffed 10lbs of shit in a 5 lb box. Its the most fun vehicle I have ever had, and driving it makes the work worth it. But everything requires you to move 4 other things to get to it. Dont let me intimidate you about these rigs, they are fun to own and if you like tinkering with vehicles you will be happy. But if you pay others to do the work it will add up very fast.
I guess I will go look at the tutorials and see what I am getting myself into. Thanks for the help.

Cam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts