S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's not what you think. A couple weeks ago I saw this 91 S15 on eBay. Being cautious about buying something I can't see or touch I decided not to bid. A couple days after the auction I emailed the seller to see how the sale went, and sure enough the buyer had personal problems and couldn't buy it. At that point the truck struck my interest again and I figured what the heck. After a VIN check, a one-way airline ticket from NC to NJ, a bus ride on the NJ Transit, I was there. Did the usual used car inspection with a test drive and all seemed good. Money was exchanged for a signed title and off I went, driving south back home.

A little back ground history

It has a 5/5 drop and he states it has all Ground Force suspesnion. I have yet to crawl under there to verify

It has a battery, oil pressure, coolant temp and tachometer gauge. The coolant and oil pressure gauges are mechanical

It has a Kenwood CD/MP3 player (with remote control) two Sound Strean 10" subs and aftermarket speakers in the OEM locations.

With the aforementioned 43 and Edlebrock chrome air cleaner

Couple things I notice while driving the 600 miles back home 1) the suspension felt pretty much just like mine, except he doesn't have a larger sway bar up front 2) with an average speed of 70mph this truck gave me shiitty gas mileage. I was getting about 220 miles per tank of gas.

At this point I thinking "I know I can't compare my 5spd 28 to this auto 43, but this shiitt is ridiculous" About 500 miles into my trip back home I notice a Service Eng Soon light came on and quit frankly I couldn't have been more happy to see that light. This meant even the ECM knew something was wrong and turned on the light.

After getting home late in the night, I did a closer under hood inspection the next morning. This is were the sender for the mechanical coolant temp gauge was installed. Can you tell what's right next to the thermostat housing?

That's correct, it's the OEM coolant temp sensor still plug into the harness

The ECM was getting a false signal thinking the engine is cold. So it kept dumping fuel trying to warm up the engine. Hopefully the extra fuel hasn't damage the cat. converter.

Stay tune for more as I go under the chassis for a closer inspection. And in case you're wondering, I paid $800 for the truck.

Mike

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Well if the only thing the monkey did wrong was with the coolant temp sensor it aint not bad! I wonder if he even knew about the light but could not figure out why it was on. But what I like the best is you got two red trucks!!! :D

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Well I see you finally got your x-cab. Looks like a nice project. How do you
like the extra room ? So now you have a GMC & a Chevy..That reg cab
looks pretty nice. I bet you'll get the x-cab looking the same way.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice! I like the reg cab 100 times better tho.
For me an ext-cab is a little more pratical. With it being an auto now the wife can drive it if need be. I can also through the two kids in the back, which is a plus since we know have a second vehicle if we ever decide to go somewhere as a family.

Well I see you finally got your x-cab. Looks like a nice project. How do you like the extra room ? So now you have a GMC & a Chevy..That reg cab looks pretty nice. I bet you'll get the x-cab looking the same way.
The plan is to slowing go over the entire truck from bumper to bumper. First starting with the powertrain, brakes, steering and finally interior and exterior cosmetics. Even though the reg cab looks shiney, the paint is chipping and fading in certain areas. Eventually I would have re-painted reg-cab. The ext-cab also needs a paint job, it's just sooner than the reg-cab. The previous owner was a young guy and body shop apprentice. He did some minor body work and rattle can the entire truck. That I knew before heading to NJ.

The bucket seat in the ext-cab wasn't very comfortable, its most up-right position was leaning too far back for my liking. Luckily I had a travel bag with me so I used it to support my lower back while driving. After 600 miles I was ready to get out that seat. In all honesty, I'm comtemplating putting the bench seat from the reg-cab into the ext-cab. This would give me seating for 5 and I've grown a liking to my bench seat.

Once I'm happy and convinced with the performance and MPG with the ext-cab I will be selling the reg-cab. No need for two trucks. I would sell the reg-cab as it with the 5/6 drop (mimus the X wheels and bed cover) or return the suspension to stock if need be. This decision probably will not happen for a few months.

·
I Rather Be Wheelin'
4,864 Posts
And in case you're wondering, I paid $800 for the truck.
man you guys find such good deals! I got screwed with my $700 truck

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Wanna know how much I spent swapping a 97 4.3 into my mom's 84??? :(

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
need another set of Extreme Rims and Tires?
Not saying yes, but anything is possible. Send me some pics and your asking price. From one regular consumer to another, what we gain in the sale price we loose in the shipping cost due to large and bulky items. It's not like we're Tire Rack selling hundred of tires each day, so they can afford to ship for free.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
If you're willing to divulge
4k +/-
But that is including new steering parts, ball joints and bushings. I rebuilt the engine so there is parts and machine work. The nickels and dimes added up! But I also bought two Astro vans. One was wrecked so I got a Goodwrench tranny out of it amoung most other things and the other I did some minor repair to and sold for a profit of $1100 to put into the S10.
My brother and I were looking for a later truck for her but one day she was wiping dust off it and said she loved her truck and missed it. So I had to fix it for her and could not bring myself to putting another 60 degree V6 in it.

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Nice....reminds me of my first xcab. not a bad deal, even if you did have to fork over some money for an airline ticket.

by the way,
I got zq8's for sale if you are interested. 5 of them, one never had a tire mounted, no center caps. $250 plus shipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts