S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
KeepDreaminXtreme
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering for the 2.2l if this will help with the ricey sound if you were to install a glasspack on the truck and install a muffler just after it like a thrush turbo muffler. I don't think there would be any extra restriction for the fact of the matter that the glasspack is straight through and the turbo muffler is designed to be less restrictive. Has anyone tried this or would it just muffle the deep tone that the glasspack gives at low rpms and still have the ricey effect at high rpms?

·
Registered Pwnz0r
84 Posts
Yeah try it and let me know. Because I'm trying to work around the ricey tone too with a 2.2

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
not all 4 bangers are ricey....like ive told a couple guys the S10 has some displacement to it so it doesnt sound too bad with a decent exhaust

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
The only 4cyl out that doesn't sound bad with exhaust is the STI! That is the only one. If you think the 2.2 has displacement you are nuts. It is a small 4cyl and it will always have the 4cyl sound to it. Just realize that and you will be all set. If you don't want to the 4cyl sound put a V6 or V8 in it.

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
hmmm yeah one of the trucks i work on most of the time is a 2.2 and yeah doesnt sound rice to me...hell a couple of the guys with s10s around here are 4 cyl and dont sound remotely 'ricey' and if you think a 2.2 4-cyl is so tiny then you must think the STi 2.5 motor is tiny too

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
xxosiris9xx said:
hmmm yeah one of the trucks i work on most of the time is a 2.2 and yeah doesnt sound rice to me...hell a couple of the guys with s10s around here are 4 cyl and dont sound remotely 'ricey' and if you think a 2.2 4-cyl is so tiny then you must think the STi 2.5 motor is tiny too
They are tiny motors. I mean they are bigger than the little 1.6 or 1.8 that Honda uses but they are still tiny. Here is a little thing to remember

THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!!

·
Registered Pwnz0r
84 Posts
hmph I wish I had a bigger motor. But a 2.2 is better than a 1.6 and I have also heard 2.2 s10's that don't sound ricey, but how??

·
The pimpdizzle
1,715 Posts
I think muffler placement plays a better role in out trucks sound. A Cavalier with the 2.2 sounds way higher pitched usually while most of our trucks sound a little deeper and the only reasonable explaination I could think of is muffler location. Certain cars just sound like crap no matter what. As much as I like the Cobalt it has the worst sounding exhaust of any car Ive heard and their engines are practically the same size as ours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts