S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few days I have learned that the 2.2 has 118-120 HP at the flywheel and about 70-75 at the wheels. I was wondering why it looses so much HP so I did some research. The only thing I could find is the drive line and possible the rear axle assembly (I dont know what its called). If we 2.2 guys replaced our back ends would it be possible to get more like 100-110 at the wheels. If so then I would think it would put less strain on the engine and leave more room for engine bolt ons. I would also think It would make the bolt ons give more HP for the dollar.

Would replacing this stuff make a difference?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Well... I don't really know about all this stuff, but I think that there are a few things that you add to get more power to the wheels instead of adding power to the engine... Like the e-fan and the underdrive pulleys. I don't really know how much more this puts to the wheels, but I assume that a fan would really bog down an engine since it has to make a lot of friction w/ the air to blow a lot, so I think a few things like that would get more to the wheels.

DogP

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of those things you mentioned get more power to the engine. I am talking about doing something so that I dont loose from 75-110, I want the other 45HP to be going to the tires

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Most of your loss is in the drag from the gears in the tranny (on a stick) viscosity of your gear oil in that and the differential and then the friction on any bearing surfaces (wheel, pinion gear, etc) You can't change the viscosity without causing problems and as far as I know, it's not recommended to change the oil type in a GM rearend anyway since I've heard they're partial to a certain kind of oil. The differential creates a lot of drag through friction, just look at how NASCAR tears up rear ends on short tracks on a hot day.

·
Registered
920 Posts
its not 70-75 at the rear wheels its 91 ish. Still too much. New Venture trannies suck and its not the rear ends fault. Remember its a truck rear end being pushed by a econo car engine. if you wnat to reduce drive train loss. you need a new tranny. get a new lightweight flywheel and lightweight driveshaft, not to mention an efan and pullies.

even with all of that you probally will only be pushing 100 at the wheels

P

·
0 Posts
Basically the motto of the story is if you want big HP get a V8 or at least a V6

·
CURL UP AND DIE
357 Posts
most engines lose 25-30% of their horsepower through the drivetrain...its a fact of life, deal with it and buy a V8 and nearly triple HP at the wheels.....easy fix really! LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts