S-10 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
B4U Task Force Admin
31,323 Posts
It should say someplace on the label if it compatible with enamel paints. Laquer based will lift it like paint stripper due to the hotter solvents.

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
time to get cereal
6,157 Posts
I don't think clearing is necessary... Just use glossy paint and be done with it.

·
time to get cereal
6,157 Posts
Just until the surface is smooth again.

·
Been there Done it
13,291 Posts
That picture is definitely lacquer over enamel. Both are oil based, but as stated above the fast drying solvents in lacquer will eat in to enamel. Even enamel that has dried for years.
You basically have to strip them completely. The one positive note is paint remover will lift off paint this fresh quite easily.
Sanding would take a long time because the lifted paint will clog the sandpaper quickly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
That picture is definitely lacquer over enamel. Both are oil based, but as stated above the fast drying solvents in lacquer will eat in to enamel. Even enamel that has dried for years.
You basically have to strip them completely. The one positive note is paint remover will lift off paint this fresh quite easily.
Sanding would take a long time because the lifted paint will clog the sandpaper quickly.
I was gonna get my tires today, would it be okay to do this procedure with tires on?

·
time to get cereal
6,157 Posts
You can tape the tires off.

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
968 Posts
I'm in full agreement with this. The compromised paint is a soft pliable consistency that will instantly clog an abrasive paper. However (and as previously stated), all of it needs to be removed, as any residual tainted finish will only compromise any subsequent work. And if it's not all removed, subsequent (enamel) paint application will likely end up with another "crepe'/ wrinkled texture. IF you go the sandpaper route, take your time and have plenty of it on hand. If you decide to use stripper (which can get messy), you need to be very careful to not get any of it on the tires - the chemicals in the stripper may do nasty things to the rubber compounds. It is also imperative to insure that all of the stripper is gone and the wheels are cleaned prior to repainting. And, as a bare minimum, I would remove the wheels from the truck, as they will be far easier to work on. If you plan to refinish the wheels with the tires mounted, be certain to cover/ mask all of the tire as rattle can overspray can and will go all over the place.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I'm in full agreement with this. The compromised paint is a soft pliable consistency that will instantly clog an abrasive paper. However (and as previously stated), all of it needs to be removed, as any residual tainted finish will only compromise any subsequent work. And if it's not all removed, subsequent (enamel) paint application will likely end up with another "crepe'/ wrinkled texture. IF you go the sandpaper route, take your time and have plenty of it on hand. If you decide to use stripper (which can get messy), you need to be very careful to not get any of it on the tires - the chemicals in the stripper may do nasty things to the rubber compounds. It is also imperative to insure that all of the stripper is gone and the wheels are cleaned prior to repainting. And, as a bare minimum, I would remove the wheels from the truck, as they will be far easier to work on. If you plan to refinish the wheels with the tires mounted, be certain to cover/ mask all of the tire as rattle can overspray can and will go all over the place.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll probly do this when it starts getting real bad cuz Im lazy. I should have asked the guys at home depot if the clear coat was compatible with the paint

61 - 80 of 89 Posts