S-10 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
The crevasse between the wheel mount center and outer rim must be cleaned with a pick or something similar to get the wheel "right"

·
Been there Done it
13,194 Posts
Would be a lot easier to get clean if it was a "crevasse". I'd think some acid would help eat away the hidden rust. Then rinse them with a pressure washer. Hot one would be best, if you have access to one. Then there's always sand blasting.

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
926 Posts
Would be a lot easier to get clean if it was a "crevasse". I'd think some acid would help eat away the hidden rust. Then rinse them with a pressure washer. Hot one would be best, if you have access to one. Then there's always sand blasting.
Yep - and you could probably scale up to a 6' wrecking/ pry bar (a lot better leverage as a benefit!). :whistle:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did they charge you for aluminum instead of steel?
4 steelies for $120 is very high here...steelies are about $8-$10 each here, aluminum $20-30.
then they do sales too. the places that 'pull for you' are always higher, but they normally dont bother with steelies though.

might want to double check your receipt. the original finish might have fooled the counterperson into thinking they were aluminum...

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you are painting the backside a different color (like black) cut a circle of cardboard the same diameter as the center of the wheel, place cardboard and wheel on 5 gallon bucket to paint.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Did they charge you for aluminum instead of steel?
4 steelies for $120 is very high here...steelies are about $8-$10 each here, aluminum $20-30.
then they do sales too. the places that 'pull for you' are always higher, but they normally dont bother with steelies though.

might want to double check your receipt. the original finish might have fooled the counterperson into thinking they were aluminum...
Yeah everything is more expensive in SoCal, that was in fact the price for steel wheels at every junkyard I checked

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If you are painting the backside a different color (like black) cut a circle of cardboard the same diameter as the center of the wheel, place cardboard and wheel on 5 gallon bucket to paint.
Im gonna leave the backside alone. I put a second coat of white primer today and tomorrow I will put the gloss black rustoleum on, let it dry, recoat, let it dry, touch up, then clear coat

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah everything is more expensive in SoCal, that was in fact the price for steel wheels at every junkyard I checked
theres some in fresno, salinas, etc. it might be worth the drive for you in the future. they run sales if you sign up for the free 'toolkit club' Pick-n-Pull
they have price lists and inventory on there

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
theres some in fresno, salinas, etc. it might be worth the drive for you in the future. they run sales if you sign up for the free 'toolkit club' Pick-n-Pull
they have price lists and inventory on there
Eh i already got my steelies, all the paint and stuff only costed 20$ since I needed a second can of primer and possibly a second can of final coat. But this is to show that you can go get some cheapo junkyard steelies for $120 and with 20-40$ Of supplies (sand paper, paint, some tools) and a few hours of your time, you can save a lot of money. But its all about how much you value your time, for some its worth it to spend 100-140 on one wheel because money is less of an issue than time. To each their own, as long as you enjoy what you’re doin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My alloys are in excellent shape though if anybody would like to buy a nice pair of alloys in the socal region

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

They have some sort of weird aging clear enamel on them that has been baked yellowish by the sun, but the metal itself is in great shape no curb rash on any of the wheels or deep gouges. Anybody know how to get it off without damaging the wheel?

I am wondering if I should keep the center caps to put on the black steelies. ive always liked the black steelie with chrome center cap look and i think it would be pretty cool looking to go with the brown blazer

·
Registered
144 Posts
Eh i already got my steelies, all the paint and stuff only costed 20$ since I needed a second can of primer and possibly a second can of final coat. But this is to show that you can go get some cheapo junkyard steelies for $120 and with 20-40$ Of supplies (sand paper, paint, some tools) and a few hours of your time, you can save a lot of money. But its all about how much you value your time, for some its worth it to spend 100-140 on one wheel because money is less of an issue than time. To each their own, as long as you enjoy what you’re doin
right on. i found 3 early-style xtreme wheels recently. i think they were $30-35ea with an extra center cap that i needed too. it was a lucky find. i planned to 'dip' them before winter but i missed that boat. maybe this spring i will polish, then dip annually for winter. i have a bunch of rattle cans too if nothing else.

·
Registered
144 Posts
View attachment 357087
They have some sort of weird aging clear enamel on them that has been baked yellowish by the sun, but the metal itself is in great shape no curb rash on any of the wheels or deep gouges. Anybody know how to get it off without damaging the wheel?

I am wondering if I should keep the center caps to put on the black steelies. ive always liked the black steelie with chrome center cap look and i think it would be pretty cool looking to go with the brown blazer
check out 'aircraft remover' it will be gone fairly quick from what i have seen

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
right on. i found 3 early-style xtreme wheels recently. i think they were $30-35ea with an extra center cap that i needed too. it was a lucky find. i planned to 'dip' them before winter but i missed that boat. maybe this spring i will polish, then dip annually for winter. i have a bunch of rattle cans too if nothing else.
Gotta be quick to find nice ones
check out 'aircraft remover' it will be gone fairly quick from what i have seen
And thank you for this tip, I have been reluctant to touch it because it flakes off easy but the rest is on pretty good. Im gonna try this tomorrow. I’ll probably keep the alloys in case I get tired of the steelies one day

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gotta be quick to find nice ones

And thank you for this tip, I have been reluctant to touch it because it flakes off easy but the rest is on pretty good. Im gonna try this tomorrow. I’ll probably keep the alloys in case I get tired of the steelies one day
be careful with any stripper though. use it outdoors only. let the rims off gas for a few days outside before you bring them inside. wear an actual gas mask/cartridge respirator. wear heavy rubber gloves. using strippers is literally one of the most toxic/high exposure events in your entire life. take extra precautions:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
be careful with any stripper though. use it outdoors only. let the rims off gas for a few days outside before you bring them inside. wear an actual gas mask/cartridge respirator. wear heavy rubber gloves. using strippers is literally one of the most toxic/high exposure events in your entire life. take extra precautions:
Wow thanks for the heads up, maybe Ill just leave it alone for now 😬

·
time to get cereal
6,054 Posts
I need a set of those wheels, not hard to find l, just been procrastinating. I have the "baby moon" style center caps for them

21 - 40 of 89 Posts