S-10 Forum banner
781 - 800 of 804 Posts

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·
Story of my life. At least when it comes to my trucks.

On the positive side, some of my brake parts showed up today.

Backing plates

Caliper hoses

There was a difference in the rubber line to the rear axle from first gen to 98+, and I couldn’t find any info on what exactly that difference was, so I ordered one of each.

The fitting on the axle is the same, but where it joins the hard line is quite different

So I will be using the first gen hose. For the ~$8 I spent on the other line, it’s not even worth the effort to return it. So, if anyone needs one...

·
Maybe later.
9,335 Posts
Ohh shiny

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 ·
The rest of my brake parts showed up last week

Ceramic pads, rotors, and what was supposed to be reman calipers.

But they sent brand new ones! For $165, including core charges, this kit was an absolute steal. Thank you RockAuto! I’m gonna shoot some clear on them before assembly to hopefully keep them looking this shiny for a while.
Most of the diff cover bolts were rounded off, so I picked some up from the hardware store

Completely overkill, being grade 8. But they were the only ones I could find the right length with the flange.
I also grabbed the caliper bracket bolts from the junkyard late last week.

The only things I have left to buy for the rear end is axle seals. Which I’ll probably do this week, along with upper control arms to replace my rotted ones. And I might replace the diff cover. It’s not in horrible shape, but I don’t know if it’s worth the effort of cleaning up. A new one is only like $25-30.
I still need to come up with a plan for my e-brake cables. Obviously disc and drum brakes use different cables. And how they connect to the front cable is different from first to second gen. So I can’t just use stock disc ones. I know there’s some threads on here about it, so I’ll have to do some research.
I might try to get the axle torn down this weekend. But I’ve got a lot going on, so we’ll see.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,349 Posts
Check with hi_im _sean. He makes cable end adapters.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,221 Posts
Love this truck! the 2 door box body blazers where the first S-series I owned,and the first S-series I owned multiples of at one time.

I would love to just drive your truck! It’s been years since I’ve driven a first gen,almost a decade since I’ve driven one that was actually nice. They don’t rust here,they’re just ragged out....

Nice junkyard save bro!

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
Hey! Believe it or not, I still own this turd. Until a month ago or so, I had done absolutely nothing but put gas in it and drive it since I last posted. With winter coming, and it being my daily, I figured it needed some serious attention. My slightly seeping fuel line had turned into a dripping mess. My exhaust rotted apart and was slamming into the frame and floor. I had been putting off a leaking axle seal for who knows how long, and the rear brakes were pretty much useless. Torsion bar mounts were bad and would bang like hell over bumps. And a bunch of other little issues.
So a few weeks ago I replaced all the fuel and EVAP lines in the rear. Then I replaced the muffler and tailpipe. Had to patch and reuse part of the original pipe but hopefully it lasts another year or two. Then last weekend I started the fun job of rear brakes, wheel cylinders, axle seals, and e-brake cables. I also had to replace a brake line in the rear.

Yeah, that’s been leaking a while...
I pulled the drums and diff cover, then removed the center pin bolt, and...

Crap! It was broken. So I said screw it and went inside and had a few beers. A few days later, when it stopped raining, I drilled into it a little bit, and after like half an hour using a pick, I managed to get the rest of it out.

Barely one thread left.
This past Sunday I managed to get everything else torn down and replaced. No pics, as I was on a mission to get it done. Everything else went smoothly. I don’t think the brakes have ever felt as good as they do now.
Torsion bar mounts have been ordered and should be here tomorrow. Those’ll get replaced this weekend. And maybe I’ll actually wash it for the first time in over a year.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
Crazy, right?! As a professional mechanic, I’m a little ashamed and embarrassed by how long I waited to do everything. But, all my attention and money went into the Ford all summer.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,221 Posts
Lol! Don’t be. I let my stuff get pretty dilapidated before I fix it. Once it’s not new anymore I get bored of messin with them .:haha: how many vehicles I see with raggedy stuff way worse then mine,and keep on truckin.

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
Tick tick
BOOM!!

That's what usually happens to me...

Even my current rental car has a blown out rear glass.

No other cars available on the island.

BTW pants - how's the rust repairs on this rig holding out?

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 ·
BTW pants - how's the rust repairs on this rig holding out?
Started cracking and rusting in less than 6 months. Every single patch. Not terrible, but still. So I’ll be doing it all again someday. But I’ll weld everything next time. No more panel bond.

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
Sorry to say... I had a bad feeling about that - when you were doing the work.

I think I mentioned that I glued some quarter panels on a 68 Mustang, and the joints started to swell after about 6 months.

It might work well on new cars, but older stuff no go. :tdown

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
Got the torsion bar mounts replaced today. But, like always, not without some ********. The left side - the one that wasn’t making much noise - out and in, in 20 minutes, including getting my tools out and getting it on jack stands. The passenger side...not so easy. GM, in their infinite wisdom didn’t give enough clearance between the torsion bar and the crossmember to get the mount out.

The driver side has plenty of room, since the e-brake cable also runs through the crossmember.

The last guy to replace the mounts just cut down the stud to get it in

Which is exactly what I did. It worked. My guess is the right way to do it is to unload the torsion bar or maybe even remove it? I dunno.

Can’t imagine why they were making so much noise...

Nice and quiet now. Another repair I wish I didn’t put off for years. Next up is replacing the shocks.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #797 ·
Has it really been over 2 years?! Damn. Well, my wife bought a brand new vehicle, and I inherited her ‘13 Elantra as my new daily, so after 7 years of abuse and neglect, the Blazer is FINALLY being retired from daily duty! It couldn’t have come at a better time. This thing has been falling apart lately.
Once winter passes, and/or I find indoor work space, the plan is to completely blow this thing apart and do a total budget-minded resto.
New fenders and inner fenders, new doors and quarter panels. Completely gut and clean the interior. Upgrade to power windows and locks. Reupholster driver seat and fix the dash. All these parts have just been collecting dust for years.
I still have the set of Vortec heads I bought years ago. Those will be getting installed, along with a cam, intake, headers, etc. I’ll probably also lift it a bit and throw on some bigger tires. Mostly for aesthetics. But it might see some light off road action.
All of this, of course, after I finish bagging and doing engine upgrades to the Ford. But it’ll be nice to actually show my S series some love. This is s10forum, after all.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 ·
It’s baaaaaaaaaaack!!
For a while now, I’ve been going back and forth, thinking about selling this turd. I’ve driven it maybe once or twice a month since February. It’s just been sitting in front of the house, collecting mildew and spider webs. So, I figured if I’m gonna sell it, I should at least clean it up and make it presentable. Spent all afternoon last Sunday doing just that

Before

After

Not as nice as it was 4 years ago, but a hell of a lot better than 4 months ago. Now that it’s all cleaned up, I’ve completely fallen back in love with it. I drove it to work every day last week. It’s just as turdley as I remember!
I decided a full blown resto is kinda out of the question for now. I’m just gonna grind out all the rot, seal the rust, slap some filler on it, and rattle can it like I did years ago. It’s not gonna see winter, so this should get me by for quite a while. I will probably replace the right fender, since it’s pretty rotted.
Today’s project was cleaning up the neglected, corroded wheels.

A few hours with a scotchbrite pad and some wire brushes, and the front wheels are looking decent. Still need to strip the rest of the clear, polish the crap out of them, and re-clear. But, they should look pretty good. The rears aren’t nearly as bad, so they should clean up much easier. I really need front tires, but unfortunately, they no longer make the Destination AT. I don’t want mismatched tires, and I don’t want to buy 4, so I’m gonna do some searching for a pair of new or really nice used ones to match the rears.
Mechanically, there’s not really much that it needs. Lower balljoints are still junk, but they haven’t gotten any worse since I bought the truck. I’ll get to them some day. Exhaust is a little crusty, again. Even though the muffler and tailpipe are like a year old. But, nothing major that’ll keep me from driving it.

781 - 800 of 804 Posts