S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 804 Posts

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local junkyard a couple weeks ago, looking for parts for a car at work, when I came across this:

1988 2-door 4x4 Blazer. I asked about it, and they said as long as they had the title on hand, I could buy the whole truck. I went back the following Saturday for some other stuff, and took another good look at it. I told myself, as long as it was cheap enough, I was gonna buy it. They couldn't tell me a price, since the owner of the yard was on vacation, but they would know by Monday. I finally got a price last Tuesday. I went and put a deposit down on it. The next day, I paid the rest, and got the title. $600, and two days later, it was in the driveway! (sort of)

Exterior

The good:

The body is amazingly straight. It's been repainted fairly recently, also.

The underside of the truck is cleaner than anything I've ever owned, and nicer than most vehicles I've seen!

Undercoating is still on the entire frame. Floorpans still have what looks like original paint. Seriously, what the fuck kind of 26-year-old New England truck looks this nice underneath??

The bad:

The body isn't perfect. It does have some rust.

Driver's side door has a fair amount of rust on the bottom. No holes, but it's pretty scaly.

Some rust bubbles are forming in front of the right rear wheel.

Some deep scratches on the tailgate. Also has the usual chips on the edges of the doors, and a few on the front.

It was in 'grampa-mode' when I bought it. The brush guard left some minor damage on the bumper and lower valance, and the bug guard left 4 holes in the front lip of the hood, which are starting to rust out.

This is the only major damage. It backed into, or was rear-ended by something. Bumper is a little bent, and the corner of the body got crunched in a bit. The filler piece between the bumper and body got bent up, too, and interferes with the tailgate when you open it.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Interior

The good:

Interior is in overall decent shape.

Aside from being dirtier than a hooker's [email protected], there are only minor problems.

The bad:

Driver's seat has a small tear, and some cracks in the vinyl.

Someone swiped the shift lever while it was at the yard. The headlight switch, glovebox door, and center console lid are busted. Someone swapped in some aftermarket speakers, and the grilles were missing. At least they left the stock wiring intact.

It's dirty as hell!! I honestly don't see how someone could get into a truck this disgusting, and not care...makes me cringe.

Heater core puked all over the passenger side floor.

Mechanical

The good

Only has 106k on the odometer. Also has a tach, which i guess is rare...?

The bad

The heater core failed, and the waterpump is completely trashed. I can flop the fan a couple inches back and forth. So, it's highly likely this truck severely overheated. The good news is I've already got an engine and trans with 100k lined up for purchase.

Since it was sitting in a junkyard for a month and a half, the radiator got taken. And, of course, junkyards are less than precise when removing parts, so the trans lines, radiator hoses and heater hose just got cut. They also yanked an A/C line out of the way, and broke it. So, it's gonna need all that.

The most troublesome thing to me is the fact that the title has 89k miles more than the odometer states. It sure as hell doesn't look like a 200k mile truck! I'm thinking it was an error filling out the title the last time it was sold. But i guess I'll never really know.

Heading out for the evening. Will post the rest of the pics and what I've got done so far later.

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went back to the yard today (technically yesterday, now) to see what I could snag from a first gen pickup, for the Blazer. I ended up getting both stock speakers/grilles and a nice center console lid for a grand total of $0! I think im gonna go back and take the rest of the console, since mine has a crack in it, and is absolutely filthy. I tried getting the shifter from the pickup, but I couldn't get the pin that holds it in, out.

Much better!

New lid.

I also repaired the headlight switch.

All the posts that the switch was screwed to, on the back side of the plastic trim piece, were broken.

I was able to glue 3 out of the 4 of them back in place with some epoxy. I'll let it sit until tomorrow and put everything back together.

So, now aside from the glove box door and missing shifter, the headliner falling down, and being GROSS, the interior is good to go.

I cleaned up the front end a bit, too.

Removed the brush guard and deflector thingy. The screw holes from the deflector are pretty rusty, and it's spreading up the front of the hood. Oh, and the bowtie is missing. All the chrome trim is pretty rough, too. grille and headlight bezels are flaky. Taillight trim is corroded and dull. All minor stuff that will get fixed or replaced eventually.

Most worthwile fix of the day

added some new smell-good, rolled down the windows, and opened the rear glass before I went to the junkyard, and left it all open for a few hours till it started raining. It still has a pretty strong aroma of cigarette smoke, mildew, and general nasty-nast. But, it's on its way to being a really nice truck.

·
Maybe later.
9,335 Posts
I TOLD YOU.

YOU NEEDED A BLAZER.

LOOK WHAT HAPPENED!

But either way, Man I'm stoked for you! Can't wait to see what you do with this little gem! Its amazing now solid it looks! It looks a metric shit ton better then my 95 s10!

·
Boozebag
10,041 Posts
I can't beleive that this is a New England truck. I bet it was from the south or something and moved to Mass. Hasn't been there long enough to have the full salt treament.
Great find, I bought a dime with a water pump in similar condition - and you are right... the motor was WASTED.
How can you drive something untill it won't run any more? :rant:

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Tyler, I've always loved two door, first gen Blazers. This was bound to happen eventually! Max, it's possible this has been in New England it's whole life. My first car was an 87 Grand Prix that has never left western Massachusetts. The frame is as clean as the Blazer's, and aside from the doors and drivers floor pan, the body was 100% rust free. Guess it all depends on how well they're taken care of.

For now, I'm just gonna get it running and drive the shit out of it. Not sure if I want to do any major mods. Kinda want to keep it stock for a while.

Also, after a little more thought and inspection, it's likely that the title is accurate , and the gauge cluster may have been swapped or the odometer rolled back. Some of the dash from pieces are broken and/or missing screws, and all the screws that go by the defogger vents that hold the dash in place, were missing. The whole right side was just sitting there loose. Oh well. It's clean as fûck, and I've got a 100k mile engine and trans to pick up for it (thanks seadoo!)

·
Boozebag
10,041 Posts
Well, you may be right. I have seen trucks that have not been driven much in actual snow, they survive well.
I used to live in Marblehead, I'm vaguely familiar with shizz salt.

It's nice in Baton Rouge... go the the JY, crack a bolt loose and remove by hand. I see better trucks here in the JYs than stuff driving on the road up north!
I drive back and forth to central New York with parts I buy down here.
NO RUST baby. My barns have plenty of S10 parts in them... :cool::D

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Possibly. Although, if that were the case I would think they would put 'true mileage unknown' or whatever they do when they don't know the actual number.

Couple pics I forgot to post earlier

The damn tires look as old as the truck. Still a little tread left, and no dry rot, so I might rock them for a little while.

·
Professional Insultant
5,928 Posts
I like the 2 door first gen blazers too!

this looks like a fun project.

We're having fun rebuilding a first gen s10 we bought for $500. Replacing the dash is pretty easy, we got the whole dash from a bravada for $30 and the Bravadas seem to have a fiber wrapped version vs the standard plastic lower shelf.

just about 200K and runs like a champ.

1 - 20 of 804 Posts