S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
?
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a shot of the sub I made to fit in the jump seat area of my 2002 extended cab. As you can see it's a single JL Audio 8W0 powered by a bridged Rockford Fosgate Punch 200S.

The enclosure is 3/4" MDF 5.0" D x 13.5" W x 17.5" H. I attached it at the top to the horizontal body rail below the window & made bracket to use the existing jump seat bolt locations at the bottom. I attached a front panel of 1/4" cabinet plywood and contoured it to fit the opening. The amp is mounted on 3/4" MDF so it would be flush with the opening at the bottom & also so I could run the wiring underneath. I covered the front, amp base, & the filler pieces on each side of the amp first with vinyl top padding. I ordered the fabric to match the stock interior from one of those tiny samples. You might notice that it's the right color but wrong pattern, well nothings perfect!

I have the stock radio and speakers & I think I'll keep them. I did put the the rear speakers on the front channel. the rear channel only drives the sub via speaker level inputs. This way I can regulate the sub from the radio. I put 99 mfd capacitors on each front speaker to block the lows. The sub amp is set to low pass with the gain turned down (200 watts is a little much for the JL).

Now some of you might scoff that this isn't much of an improvement over stock. I agree that you're not going to get rattle the house thumping bass, but I'm very pleased with the improvement, as are most people that hear it. The only complaint I've had was from Ryan, and he has 2 15's in the trunk of his Impala SS. I'm also pushing 53, so my taste in music may be a little different than most on this board.

Anyway there it is, I have more detailed pictures if anyone wants them to see them.

Attachments

·
?
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks for the kind comments!

To kdhs10: Thanks

To thebassn8tr: No, I don't want to see any MDF for a quite a while. I will give anyone tips to build their own.

To astro1112: Just so you know, the box is a little smaller than the opening. That's the 1/4" plywood face I cut to fit the opening.

To 99blkx: Thanks, in some respects building it nice is what makes it worth the effort. The project took me 4 weekends.

To SMNW2003 & Cloudguy: I don't know, being 80 or 90?

To loudnlowS10: Thanks

To offthehook: It actually sounds better than I hoped. My original reason for the project was to get the bass off of the door speakers so they wouldn't rattle. It seems to have had the added benefit of cleaning up the sound as well.

To Cloudguy: The enclosure is 5" deep, the back is about 1/32" from the sheet metal.

To SLAMnoma95: You're making me feel old! Don't know about Earth Wind & Fire, but Santana & Steely Dan sound lots better.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Nice project. Came out tight. I have been thinking of doing something
like that too, as no one ever uses the back. Now that I've seen how
it came out, I may put my MB Quart 6x9's in the jump seat location
on both sides. I could get em off the back floor and out of those
aftermarket angled box's..Yep, looks good, and thanks for some
inspiration..

·
?
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To cloudguy: Some guys at work suggested the same thing. I'll give it some thought. One problem, no more S10, Chevy's coming out with the Colorado.

To SLAMnoma95: No problem, I agree with you about the need for diversity, everyone has something to offer. Thanks for the tip about Shaman, haven't heard it yet.

To Bg's: That was the reason for my post. To show it could be done, sometimes that's what it takes to inspire others. When I get home tonight I'll post some construction pictures.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
I like the box, and everything looks good, but I have a few questions:
how much air space is in the box? And assuming the air space is large enough, do you think a 10 or maybe even a 12 would fit in where?

:edit: I reread your post and with the deminisions to gave the internal box volume is around .5 - .6 cubic feet, so that answers my question aobut the bigger sub, is there more space back there to make the box bigger?

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
5 x 17.5 x 13.5 made from 3/4" material is 0.389 ft^3.

Is there more space back there? I also use a JL 8W-0, and when I went from sealed (about 0.4 ft^3) to ported (about .8 ft^3) I gained SO much. It really beats the pants off the sealed box in the lower bass regions. I gained overall loudness, plus is sounds much better because the rolloff is at such a lower frequency, sounds like a much bigger sub. Just a thought.......

·
?
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm afraid you're SOL when it comes to finding anymore space. You're going to need a minimum of .6 ft^3 for a ported 8", I don't think you could get .1 ft^3 more. Maybe if you angled the bottom section out where I have the amp you could gain some more, but I doubt it would be enough.

·
?
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a shot of the top mount. I used hinges so I could get the vertical angle correct. I had to put a shim behind the rear hinge to correct the horizontal axis.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts