S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Dirty Sanchez
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1993 GMC Jimmy I stole for $300!
It is fully loaded with a 4.3L V6.

My plans are to build this thing as cheap as I can with extra parts from around the shop, but still to have it very strong and reliable.

My main goal is a solid axle swap using Wagoneer Dana 44 axles. Other plans include custom bumpers, tube doors, and an exo-cage.

We didn't have any room in the shop when I started the build so most of the work has been done with me laying in the dirt...

here are some pics:

i sold all of the doors, bumpers, suspension to make my money back...

the rear springs im using are a few inches longer and have an offset center pin which will move the axle back 5"

pics without the doors

pics with the front axle sitting under the truck

tires i will most likely be using. 38/13/16 tsl's

i began cutting off all of the unnecessary brackets and crossmember.

i found some Hummer H3 tires (set of 5) on craigslist for $200 with almost new tires on them.
all i needed was 2" spacer to get them to fit.

hangers completed. i threw a little paint on to prevent rust on the exposed metal.

the axles came out of a Jeep Wagoneer. here is the donor vehicle.

the spring mostly done. the perches are welded and the knuckle is assembled and ready for high steer. i switched over the full-time flanges with some warn hubs we had layin around.

had to change the front hanger setup a little.
everything is tacked together and i need to weld in the cross ties on the front shackles.

front under the truck. i really like the stance. i will most likely add one more leaf.

no sas kit here...

the shackles and hangers i made.

the steering should work perfectly.

more pics of the front

·
Dirty Sanchez
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
daystar frame bushings for the rear

rear shackles

more pics

the wheels hardly have any backspacing that is why i had to put spacers in front. i will be ordering spacers for the rear so they will match.

for the rear axle all i had to do was cut off the panhard bracket and relocate the spring perches.

here are some more pics with the tarp off. i still have alot of cosmetic stuff to do but at least its almost drivable!

the fenders done. i will probably trim out a little more on the rear.
im talking with super swamper about the new LTB's that they are releasing in the next few weeks. they have a new 35x12.50 r16 coming out that i might use instead of the 38's.

anyways here are a couple more pics.

before and after

the rear trimmed.

·
Dirty Sanchez
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks!

the rear springs are 57" wagoneer springs with an offset center pin.

i still have more to trim out of the fenders in the rear.

hopefully i can have it done in the next few months :rolleyes: but i still need to install gears and spools, extend the driveshafts, and modify the exhaust and tranny xmember before i can drive it around.

·
3 Leaf Fab
4,082 Posts
any particular reason you went with front shackles in the front? and do you plan on runnning a spool in the front? what are you doing for steering? and last, what springs did you run up front?

·
Dirty Sanchez
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we have had good experience with shackles up front. this setup helps push tires over stuff.
yep, spools front and rear.
im doing a crossover with a cherokee dropped pitman arm and a passenger side high steer arm. i will most likely move the steering box forward a few inches (not using astro van box).
im pretty sure the springs in front are out of a YJ. they were some extras we had laying around. i will be adding one more long leaf to the pack.

·
**** New Jersey
8,325 Posts
all you need is a stock XJ pitman arm, they have some drop in them already versus the stock s10 one

looks good, i just dont like the rear shackle angle, and rear axle location.

other than that it looks great!!

each to their own

·
Banned
2,361 Posts
looks good but whats with the long wheelbase you went with? why didnt you just keep the axles in the factory location?

·
Super Moderator
20,515 Posts
coming along, that project cost is a HELL of a steal, congrats on those man, h3 wheels doesnt look as bad on the blazer, different but aint too bad

·
3 Leaf Fab
4,082 Posts
all you need is a stock XJ pitman arm, they have some drop in them already versus the stock s10 one

looks good, i just dont like the rear shackle angle, and rear axle location.

other than that it looks great!!

each to their own
i see nothing wrong with the rear shackle angle. thats the kind of angle you need for real good articulation. i've always been disappointed with the stock shackle angle, and i've always wanted to use a slightly longer leaf to do just what he did.

·
Dirty Sanchez
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all of the input!

the longer wheelbase and slightly wider axles will help with stability and will help me from rolling. the wheelbase really isnt that long and it will look alot better with bigger tires.

the rear shackle angle is perfect, like Donahue said, its gonna help with flex.
i just need to finish trimming the rear to make it look good.

as for steering, we have a box full of jeep pitman arms that i can choose from.

also, having the front setup the way i do (shackles in front) i will not need a real long driveshaft.

the only stuff i have bought so far is the knuckle and wheels/tires. everything else was freebies we had laying around and that is part of the reason it is built the way it is....

·
**** New Jersey
8,325 Posts
cant complain about that.

hmm, my bad, i thought the shackle looked kicked back way too far.

looks great man, just think. if you wouldnt of sold the doors, that POS tarp wouldnt be hiding that beast

·
Spark Plugs Are Overrated
6,129 Posts
looks good but whats with the long wheelbase you went with? why didnt you just keep the axles in the factory location?
I prefer longer wheel bases, you can get up and over alot of stuff that a shorter wheel base vehicle can't. I like the 115" to 125" range, but you had better have big tires or alot of ground clearance. My truck used to have a 118" wheelbase and I could school stock length Heeps on 40-44's with my 36's. It really hurts there feelings when a pathetic S10 can go places there Jeeps can't. Nice work on the Blazer, I like what your doing with it.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts