S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is an 87' S-10, longbed, 2.8 newly rebuilt and still under break-in. The other night after driving lightly on the highway I noticed a jingly sound coming from under the hood. I tried to search a little but most "rattle's" come up with suspension threads. And this may not even be in the right forum but I have not had enough to lurk to gain general knowledge. The sound is like a loose pulley jingling on a shaft while rotating. Sound is present at idle and light acceleration and disappears under moderate to heavy load. Sounds like its coming from behind the power steering pump near the firewall. May be transmission related. I just want to find it quick so I'm not damaging anything. I waited long enough to get my truck back. Power steering pulley felt tight. I will try to look under the truck tonight but I don't get alot of light after work so any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, its an automatic, any know linkage problems? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not to answer my own question but I found the problem last night with a flash light. The bracket on the back of the PS pump that connects to the exhaust manifold was loose. Luckily my friend that drives a near identicle 88' lives in town so I can look at his to see how it should be. My truck was rebuilt at a high school and though it was done clean and I haven't had any other problems I don't think the "students" put that bracket back in right. I'm sure I will be around plenty from now on trouble-shooting alot of other issues as I find other short-cuts that were taken.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts