S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the board and want to tap into your Intel. I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy. Love everything about it except fuel economy. With Gas at just below the $5 mark here in Ca. I am pondering, if possible, replacing my tired 4.3L engine with a GM 2.2 liter 4 cylinder. I find this Jimmy suits me well for all purposes and very practical and I am willing to keep her on the road another 10-15 years if a smaller more fuel efficient engine will fit the Jimmy. Thank you in advance for any insight,
~Cheers~
Al

·
Registered
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
562 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Here's another thing to consider. If this is a DD and you do a good amount of highway/ freeway driving, you might want to compare the performance (acceleration, passing, merging, hills, etc.) of the 2.2 relative to the 4.3, even with the consideration for fuel costs. If you are considering that route, I'd definitely find a Blazer/ Jimmy w/ a 2.2 to take for a test drive before committing to the 4 banger.

And BTW, don't even think about tapping into my Intel - go pick on an AMD chipset! 😜

·
time to get cereal
5,806 Posts
There was a guy on here who disassembled and reassembled more S-series vehicles than I've ever seen. He was going to put a 2.2L 5-speed in a 2nd gen Blazer 2-door, but never came to fruition.

It would be a very large undertaking. You'd need a 2.2L truck next to it to pull all of the parts off of.

If it's 4wd and you want to keep it, that's another can of worms. Only transmission that you can get to work is the older T5.

More details would help. Starting with a 2-door 2wd with 5 speed will be ideal. I couldn't imagine an automatic 2.2L with the weight of an SUV.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,780 Posts
A tutu would not get much better mileage in a jimmy, and would require a great deal of work to get it going.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 03 4x4 4dr blazer, that I swapped a 2l vw tdi and nv3500 5 spd into in place of the stock 4.3 auto. Did a 13,000 kilometer road trip in sept. from northwestern BC to Quebec and back with it and averaged 44 mpg for the trip, almost double what the 4.3 would do. I calculate my mileage using the imperial gallon that I grew up with in Canada, never did adjust to the metric system when we switched, so that equtes to about 36.6 usmpg. This was straight hiway cruising keeping the speed pretty consistently right around 65 mph, which is about 2000 rpm with my gearing. Range was much better, ussually ran 850-900 kilometers(550ish miles) between fills.Power with the tdi(remapped from stock) is about as the same as the 4.3 in my estimation, with probably a little more in the lower rev range and a bit less at high revs. I actually prefer the tdi powerband for my driving style. Love the truck now, but it was a lot of work doing the swap.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,689 Posts
I have an 03 4x4 4dr blazer, that I swapped a 2l vw tdi and nv3500 5 spd into in place of the stock 4.3 auto. Did a 13,000 kilometer road trip in sept. from northwestern BC to Quebec and back with it and averaged 44 mpg for the trip, almost double what the 4.3 would do. I calculate my mileage using the imperial gallon that I grew up with in Canada, never did adjust to the metric system when we switched, so that equtes to about 36.6 usmpg. This was straight hiway cruising keeping the speed pretty consistently right around 65 mph, which is about 2000 rpm with my gearing. Range was much better, ussually ran 850-900 kilometers(550ish miles) between fills.Power with the tdi(remapped from stock) is about as the same as the 4.3 in my estimation, with probably a little more in the lower rev range and a bit less at high revs. I actually prefer the tdi powerband for my driving style. Love the truck now, but it was a lot of work doing the swap.
The rule here is...pics or it didn't happen...

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
Even if you had a good 2.2 truck siting beside it to take everything off of it's still gong to cost some money to do the swap what with, oil, antifreeze, gaskets, and a 100 other little things.
Then how many miles would it take to recoup the cost of all that stuff and the cost of the good 2.2 truck. Which you could simply drive after you buy it. Spending money to get better fuel mileage rarely accomplishes it's intended goal.
The guy above with the TDI will likely never get his money back, even at 36.6 mpg. He did it because he wanted something different and enjoyed the challenge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rhoto, I didn't take any pics well building it, but I can take some of the blazer and engine bay when I get a chance. I'm a little remote here with no road access to my home, and the blazer as well as our tdi jetta are parked at the end of the road 10 kilometers away, so not making a special trip up to take pics. We will be snowmobiling up to the vehicles later this week though, for our twice monthly town run for mail and a few groceries. So will try and remember to bring a camera and get you a couple of pics. Then it will just be a question of whether I can figure out how to post them here, as I am one of those tech challenged old farts that didn't grow up with computers.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,689 Posts
Rhoto, I didn't take any pics well building it, but I can take some of the blazer and engine bay when I get a chance. I'm a little remote here with no road access to my home, and the blazer as well as our tdi jetta are parked at the end of the road 10 kilometers away, so not making a special trip up to take pics. We will be snowmobiling up to the vehicles later this week though, for our twice monthly town run for mail and a few groceries. So will try and remember to bring a camera and get you a couple of pics. Then it will just be a question of whether I can figure out how to post them here, as I am one of those tech challenged old farts that didn't grow up with computers.
Just messing' with you..but we do enjoy pics.

If you can't figure out picture posting, let me know...doesn't get much easier than on here.

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
Wow. I thought I lived at the intersection of middle and nowhere with a 1/2 mile gravel driveway. Off the end of a 1 mile oil and pea gravel road.
You make me look like a city slicker.
If you know them can you post your GPS coordinates. I'd love to see where you're at.
Bet we both have the same scenery in January and February
This was taken out my kitchen window a couple years ago:
Snow Sky World Window Branch

·
Registered
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
562 Posts
Wow. I thought I lived at the intersection of middle and nowhere with a 1/2 mile gravel driveway. Off the end of a 1 mile oil and pea gravel road.
You make me look like a city slicker.
If you know them can you post your GPS coordinates. I'd love to see where you're at.
Bet we both have the same scenery in January and February
This was taken out my kitchen window a couple years ago:
View attachment 355493
Nice scenery/ view!
For a really remote and hardy existence, try some of the bush villages in AK - I've been there (visiting/ business) in the winter. On one trip (3 days' stay), we were fortunate with a 'balmy day', when the temp. was 'only' 37 degrees (F.) below 0, not including the wind chill. You fly for several hours over absolutely flat nothingness (the artic desert) to the village. Another factor (in the far northern latitudes) is that during the winter, the sun never breaks the horizon for about 3 months, yielding only a couple hours of twilight type illumination in the afternoon. Once there, the only mechanized 'transportation' was snowmobiles or ATV's for local use. There are/ were no roads connecting the village to anything.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Keep the 4.3L in it and buy a 2.2L stick for mileage. You'll be money ahead and have two vehicles that are both optimized for different things.

Drive a 2.2L for a few weeks and see how you like the power. Then figure in that your blazer is heavier than any truck except maybe the crewcab.

·
Boozebag
10,018 Posts
I had a 99 extend cab with a 2.2 / 5 speed.
I installed a header, larger exhaust and CAI.
It wasn't that bad for power - believe it or not.
It wouldn't tear up a 1/4 mile, but had enough power to pull a fat kid on a tricycle... :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
olddeerslayer,
I'm on the Stikine river at the mouth of a large creek, Coordinates are approximately 57 degrees 47 minutes N and 131 degrees 24.5 minutes W.
50 miles as the crow flys east of the Alaskan border, and 150 miles south of the Yukon border. Nearest community is Telegraph Creek, a Tahltan indian reservation with a population of about 250. I'll post a few pics after I've been up to the vehicles on a new thread, so we can quit messing up the op's thread with off topic posts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts