Work In Progress
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into gettig one I have a 2003 extended cab Xtreme

1. Does any one out there have it?
2. Is 600 too much to pay
3. How is the quality?
4. What to push it with?
5. If you had a choice would you do it again?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
wow, $600 is hella expensive for a box. is it just the box, or sub too?

·
12,507 Posts
what are the subs? like w7, ect? thats still really expensive for just a box and 2 10" subs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bjbaker said:
I am looking into gettig one I have a 2003 extended cab Xtreme
Do you mean the JL audio box. Fits in the back and downfires two 10s?

I've seen several of them on here. Find the x-cab thread. With that box though, you are limited to only shallow mounting depth subs like w6s. You could get a way better setup for about half the cost.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bjbaker said:
yes I mean the JL

What is SQ, SPL, low fill
SQ is short for sound quality--or how accurately the bass notes are reproduced. Some subs are good at just making noise, so they have poor SQ. And there are subs that are known for their clarity--like the JL w7s for example.

SPL is short for sound pressure level (measured in decibels). Basically how loud it gets. Again, there are subs on the market that are known for getting way loud, but lack sound quality. You might put audiobahns and L7s in this category. Totally subjective of course. What I look for in a sub is a mix of both SQ and SPL. A sub that can make some bass and sounds good doing it. A lot of the JL line fits into this category, as well as Alpines and Elemental Designs.

SMNW2003 is basically asking what your expectations are of this setup. Do you just want a little bass, or you looking to compete?
The w6s that come in that box for example are more than likely going to sound pretty good. They'll give you some good lower end. Something that the stock system doesn't have. But you are not going to win any spl competitions with it.

It's always nice to have idea of what you want to do with your system. That way you can plan and purchase your equipment accordingly. That'll save you from buying something and being unhappy because it isn't loud enough or doesn't sound good enough.

IMO, If you just want a couple 10s to give you some bass, then that setup is going to be fine if you wanted to spend the 600 (I could find you something better for a lot less). But if you're looking to win a SPL competition, then that system isn't going to cut it.

HTH

·
12,507 Posts
how bout some RE subs? they have a decently shallow mount depth, and from everyone who talks about them, get loud as hell, for a very affordable price.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
lol shallow depth eh? hehe...he has a extended cab..he wont have to worry lol...go get one SE12, or a HC12 or even a XXX12..you'll be happy fo-eva....dey love you long time..
sheit you'll be happy with a XXX10

or put a 12 HC (nice price for bump) ..in a well built ported box ...call it a day..pau go home

·
12,507 Posts
yeah, but he wants a low-profile stealth box, so i dont think a 15" XXX would work to well lol.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
lol true true...hrmm..go get a SE10 ...6in mounting depth..and poWnds very well for it's price..the price is actually very good i think so..i thought it shoulda been more lol cuz 600rms 1000PEAK
talk about ballz..and that aint even the high end stuff...my fren keep raggin on me that his bruddaz 12's will kill mines...3 12's on 1 900w amp...it might give mines a hard time..but hell...come one now..im sure my 10's would "keep up" with those...if i only had a ported box...fcukin drown out everybody on this damn island...well maybe most them..haha

·
Work In Progress
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO, If you just want a couple 10s to give you some bass, then that setup is going to be fine if you wanted to spend the 600 (I could find you something better for a lot less). But if you're looking to win a SPL competition, then that system isn't going to cut it.

HTH [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to win any compition I just want good, deep, clear bass less then six wold be great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts