S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 97 5-speed S-10 with 63,000 miles, and I know my engine has a lot of life left in it, but I'm curious how difficult it would be to swap in an Ecotec engine from a J-body, within a few years from now? I know I'd need the whole wiring setup, computer, and etc from the donor car, but how will it mate up to my transmission? Has anyone ever needed to make an adapter plate for the bellhousings on our 5sp??? The reason I'm thinking of going with an Ecotec, is more stock horsepower, more availability of parts coming out soon, and still keeping the good gas mileage... Although the HP gain is impressive, dropping a couple grand for a turbo setup is a little expensive for me, but if I work on building up an Ecotec in the meantime, I should be able to get some respectable numbers from it too, no?

Correct me if I'm theorizing out my ass, please? But, just an idea on being different, without swapping in a V6, V8, turbo, or insane amounts of nitrous.....

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, our engines (the older 2.2L) are the same engine as in the Cavvies, and we're RWD... I don't suppose it'd be too difficult, as long as the transmission would be able to be mated... Just turn the Ecotec so the cylinders are aligned with the truck, and use an electric fan. Other than that, I can't see many downfalls... I'm not saying it'd be as easy as a swap from 305 to 350, but I'm just curious as to what all would need to be done?

·
-------------------------
1,675 Posts
You would have to change your bell housing, motor mounts, and computer stuff. I,m sure that I may have missed something but it's worth a try.
Do a search a see what comes up because we have discussed this topic before.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
it'd be a pain in the ass, and you'd need adaptor plate for the bellhousing

Caleb

·
BMW Parts Dept.
434 Posts
I'm sure any motor can be put in any vehicle. You better have a lot of time on your hands, the ability to weld and fabricate, and the patientce to make every detail (guages, fuel sys, just to say a few) ironed out. If your gonna spend the money on a motor like the eco, might I dare suggest an import motor. If everythings gonna be custom mind as well try to slap a turbo motor in there.

·
Fastest 2.2 liter
566 Posts
The 2.2 DOHC Ecotec in the J-bodies and the 2.2 LN2 motor that is in S-10s are no where near the same. Your transmission will not bolt up. The front wheel drive Getrag tranny for the the Ecotec will not bolt up either.

It would be like doing a V-8 swap. It might be even more work to do a Ecotec swap than a V-8 swap, and still have almost have less than 1/2 the horsepower
If you are wanting to do a complete motor swap, why not do a V-8?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
For the guages to work is just wiring. Just like wiring for a Lt1 or Ls1.
For it to bolt up either have an adapter plate made or have mantapart make you a bellhousing. The bh will run 250 plus clutch and everything is about 500 total.
Motor mounts can just be welded in and an e-fan will need to be purchased. Stock 2.2 radiator will be fine for now. Eliminate a/c for an easier swap. Exhuast will be easier b/c exhaust man is on passenger side now. Only thing I see as a possible problem is the intake manifold going to low and hitting the sterring column. Im still measuring. but if it does then Ill just shell out mad cash for GMs drag manifold with the Ls1 throttle body.j/k but would work

I plan on doing this just to be unique plus a huge weight savings. Not tring to be fastest or anything just different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.