S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scrapin Bumps In Cali
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its startin to get hot, at least here in cali, so how about some hot weather driving or washing tips. C'mon I know everyone has something to say:headbang:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
here's a car washing tip "support your local club" by letting them wash you truck or car for donation of there caus

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
good tips....always wash truck at home,...lazer washes wont get your truck very clean, cant get a mini in the brush drive thru kind and the do it yourself kindas will f up your apint because the brushes are dirty from the guy before u that washed the 6 inches of mud off his 4x4....so always try to do it with a clean sponge at home....your a fine steel wool pad to get bugs of windshield...not paint or tint...just windshield....spray tire wet in your wheel wells on the black part...(that will make your truck look new)....turtle wax tire wet will give your tires a deep wet shine that will last longer then the spray kind...and its less messy too....when your done drying your truck dry your wheels it will get that lil bit of extra dirt off......hmm thats all the tip i can think of off hand....

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
oh ya and use the towel u used to dry your truck with to dry and clean your door jams out of course most u guys new all this stuff.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
PLEASE READ EVERYTHING. IF YOU DISAGREE MY METHOD WILL BE EXPLAINED FURTHER IN DOWN

My tips

Always Always wash at night.

Take a bottle of Wesley's bleach white, bucket, sponge and hard bristle brush

Pull in the bay and spray the tires with the bleach white and let them sit for a minute

Insert the change into the machine and fill the bucket with hot soapy water use about a 2 gallon bucket (tip while filling the bucket-- leave the hard bristle brush in the bottom of the bucket with the bristles up and put the nozzle of the sprayer in the center of the brush and push down. Then pull the trigger to keep the pressure from blowing the water everywhere)

After filling the bucket spray the truck with the sprayer still using hot soapy water and get as much of the dirt off as possible with the high pressure. After the truck is rinsed wash the bleach white off the tires and spray the wheels really good too.

After your time runs out start at one end of the truck (I always start with the drivers side taillight and work clockwise) handwash the entire truck with the sponge and bucket and go over every inch with the sponge. Between the high pressure of the rinse and the scrubbing with the sponge you'll get all the bugs. After the truck is done go to the tires.

Take the brush and brush the entire outside wall of the tire. I always dip my hand in the water and rub the wheels with my hand to get the dirt off. Your hand is about the only thing that can reach the small cracks to get all the brake dust off. If while doing this you find something that isn't easily removed you can try the sponge or brush.

After everything is cleaned rinse the truck with the "wax" setting. I figure their wax is better than nothing. Just make sure it is high pressure. If the wax setting is weak just use the regular rinse setting. Make sure everything is rinsed off really well.

After the truck is rinsed get in and drive. I should have mentioned this at the beginning but will now. Try to use a car wash that has quick highway access and a place within a mile or 2 that you can make a U turn. Get on the highway and put the drivers window down. Drive as fast as the law will allow (or whatever) for at least a mile in each direction. This will blow almost all of the water off the truck. The only place that will be left is a little ont he rear bumper, hood near the windshield and on the bed cover if you have it.

Upon getting home take a few papertowels or the blue towels from the gas station (I always steal a stack when I get gas, I have tried to buy them before but they won't sell them to me) and wipe the outside of all windows. Start with the back window since it will have alot of water on it. You want the towels to be moist and wipe down all the windows. Take the same moist towels and wipe down the inside of all the windows. Do not use Windex (tint or not) I guarantee you your windows will be clearer than ever before with water.

After all the windows are done take a dry paper towel and dob the water spots left on the hood and such. As the towel gets a little wetter you can wipe the water that is left.

Also use the damp towels to wipe the grill and any chrome down. Just anywere that needs the water soaked up the wind didn't get or that needs polished.

That is the way I do it and I guarantee your truck will be spotless and unless it is red or black you will not have to wax your truck.

This is lengthy but is actually really quick to perform.

There are a few reasons for some of the things in here for example washing it at night

1. since your washing with a bucket and sponge you don't want a line of people behind you getting pissed because their waiting to wash their mini van.
2. THE SUN CAUSES WATER SPOTS You can use a chamey (however you spell it) but why just do it at night and let the wind from you drive blow the water off

Also use paper towels for drying up the excess water the wind didn't take care of. Regular cotton towels don't absorb the water nearly as well.

I hate shiny tires. Bleach White will make them black and look like new again but better.

All this will cost you $3 to $4 at the car wash and you don't have to buy wax or anything else. You can still wax occasionally for those hard to get bugs but I use tar and bug remover for that (rinse the area you did very well)

Forgot to mention. Don't wash at home unless you rinse and use hot water in your bucket. Just like everything else you rinse hot water cuts through crap like nothing else.

Also it is important to have a little water left on your truck when you get home to use for washing the windows. Just do the back window first and that should wet the towel enough to do the insides and out of the rest.

·
Primer Spots
3,713 Posts
washin

Do not take a truck with 4 inch blocks in the back through a automated car wash it will not fit on the track, the mounts under the blocks will get caught, I have done this and held up the carwash and had to pick the darn thing up with like 8 guys to get it off, they were a little pissed, oh and also dont go to oil change places with the same setup, wash at home or at the ones you put the quarters in, just remember the common sense stuff about lowered trucks

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
well i wouldnt recommend drying truck by driving it i've done it a few times throws dust onto tailgate and rear window......and if u do use the pay DIY drive in kind make sure u spray the brush out thats very important cuz would u wash your truck with the same brush you washed your wheels? cuz the guy before u just did his wheels with that brush and doesnt give a f*ck about your paint.....my buddy that details cars loves those DIY car washing cuz hes the guy that you pay 100 bucks to buff the swirls out....i have the original paint on my 00 and there is no swirl marks at all still looks brand new but it takes me about 2 hours to wash my truck

·
Registered
49 Posts
NEVER EVER USE THE CAR WASH BRUSH

Take your own sponge, bucket and carpet type brush for the tires. As far as driving it to dry it just depends how far you go and where you live. 1 or 2 miles has never created any dust build-up on me. I also don't have any swirl marks.

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
I find this pretty helpful. If at home it is easy. I take the nozzle off the hose when I am rinsing and I just let the water flow over the truck. Instead of forcing it off with high pressure, the steady flow puts down a nice easy flow of water that I can wash and rinse with, and I am sure to get every soap bubble. Just my .02

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wash at home occasionally. The biggest help is hot water. Just like everything else hot water helps to cut through grime. The more you get off with the initial rinse the less chance you have for residue when you start to hand wash it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts