S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I ran out of gas on the hwy, called my roadside assistance and they came out and gave me 1 gal of gas. Drove to the nearest gas station which was less than 1 mile away and filled up. To my surprise it only took 16.5 gals to top it off. So add that to the 1 gal I got from the roadside service brings it to 17.5 gals.

So it's safe to assume I have the 20 gal tank instead of the 13 gal. My question, out of the 20 gal how much of it is useable? It appears once you get down to 2-3 gals in the tank you can run into fuel issues.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Since I run a Walbro pump, I don't let it get down past 1/4 tank.
I believe a 1/4 might be between 1.5 to 2 gals on mine.

This is a 20 gal tank for 82 up to 94 truck. Blazers and Jimmys are different.
If your tank looks like this, you know you have a 20. Well you
now know for sure since it took over 16 gals to fill it. Anyway >

·
Banned
1,395 Posts
My owner's manual says I have a 20 gallon tank. When it's completely dry, my tank holds about 16.7 gallons. This being a 93" Jimmy.

The SUV's have their fuel pick up at the back of the tank, and the trucks are the opposite if I recall correctly. I never liked having less than two gallons as my Jimmy had cut out on me before when I was stopping on a down hill angle.

·
S - I - C
4,066 Posts
I don't know, I've put 18 gallons in my truck a few times and it was still running fine. I don't remember exactly how low I've gotten in my Blazer but I know I've put at least 17 gallons a couple times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts