S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a refresher, about three years ago I bought a 1987 S-15 4x4. This truck was an old ranch truck and badly neglected. Those of you that remember my posts will recall that I had to replace the motor and repair some cut up wiring from the PO.

A year ago I got the replacement motor installed and got it running, poorly I might add, and then life got in the way as life does so this project took a back burner again.

This month I was able to get back to it and I started with the fuel system. The fuel pump had gone bad and the PO had 'fixed' this by installing an inline pump under the hood before the fuel filter. Hence the butchered wiring that was once the wiring to the original in tank pump, fuel gauge, and oil pressure switches.

I removed the inline pump and dropped the tank, pulled the sending unit/pump assembly and found this:

Yep, they had to keep the rusty tank full enough for that rotted out pickup to get any fuel for the inline pump up front. The tank was just as bad inside so it was time for both a new tank and fuel sending unit assembly.

New VS old:

New tank:

My weep hole was weeping so a new water pump went in while I was in there:

Repaired the wiring, installed the new units, new hose, blew the fuel lines clean, and a new fuel filter.

I also replaced the badly cracked S belt.

The truck finally runs great! I took it for it's maiden voyage around the block yesterday (no plates yet, not going any farther.)
Still have a lot of little things to fix, heater, ac, radio, 4wd needs a few things, and a full tune up, but it's running well at last!!!

Sorry so long, just wanted to bring you up to date. I have a couple more questions, but I'll put them in different posts.

Thanks to everyone that helped, gave suggestions, or just bothered to read my stuff. :tup:

·
peace and big boobs to u
6,026 Posts
if you dont mind me asking, how much did the tank and sending unit cost you?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not at all, I did some research and got some good deals from a couple of ebay vendors, saved me quite a bit even over Rock Auto's prices. The tank was $47.95 + shipping and the sending unit was $37.99 + shipping. It should be noted that this sending unit doesn't come with the fuel pump which is how I wanted it as I had already purchased a pump before I dropped the tank.

Sending unit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120606649271&viewitem=

Fuel tank:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330521688440&viewitem=

·
nva2low
947 Posts
Nice brotha, gut any pics of the actual truck, that pump looks old as hell lol

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I got the smog done and have my plates I can move on to fixing it up some.
Yesterday I got my heater controls hooked up and working.
Put a bug shield on it.
Swapped out the factory AM radio for a factory AM/FM cassette from Pick N Pull.
Also picked up a tilt wheel column. Took a bit of looking for a manual with tilt and cruise. I knew they were available, my '86 S10 Tahoe had these options. I want to add cruise later so this is a start. I just need to switch out the ignition lock and I'll install the new column.
Also got a good headliner from Pick N Pull and installed it, so now I can drive without the material rubbing the top of my head. :haha:
All in all it's coming along nicely and the little truck drives down the road really well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed the new column today, works great only the new wiper control is for variable speed and the original was for 2 speed so now when the wipers are on the windshield wash turns on and stays on even with the wipers on unless I press the control to mist and everything shuts off, lol. It looks like it shouldn't be hard to rewire the control to work like the original did, but I wonder if I get a variable speed wiper motor if that would be all I need for the conversion, or is the truck itself wired different between the tow options?
The tilt is a nice upgrade anyway, I don't know why the factory position on the fixed wheel is so low and close to the seat.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You were right, I went back to pick n pull and got the wiper motor out of the same truck I got the column out of and installed it and all is well now.
Also got all the cruise control components too, I'll install them at a later date, that one will be much more labor intensive.
Just an FYI to anyone that goes to Pick N Pull, they have a printable coupon at their website right now that's good through the Thanksgiving weekend that gives you 50% off of everything you purchase. Saved me a nice chunk today.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally been able to finish up the reassembly, almost. Truck's been a daily driver the past few years, but without the 4wd. Had some time yeaterday and today to devote to it.

Pick N Pull had their 50% off sale this weekend so I grabbed the vacuum actuator and cable I needed to replace my bunged up ones. Got that installed and replaced both of the u joints on the front drive shaft and installed it. Installed the intermediate crossmember and gas tank skid plate.

Of course I've misplaced all the hardware to these parts over the last 3 years so I grabbed some from the yard and replaced other with new.

Just leaves the vacuum lines to hook up and the engine and transfer skid plates and it's done. Finally.

I did put vacuum to the actuator and the 4wd did engage. Got too dark to do the lines, I have to replace all three, they are completely rotted.

·
peace and big boobs to u
6,026 Posts
nice to see you haven't given up on the old girl

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the vacuum lines replaced and the 4wd now works flawlessly. :tup:

Going to replace the exhaust flange gaskets next.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy crap! 3 year jump! :lol: how difficult is the e-fan swap?

I wasn't bad although mounting was more of a hack-job than I prefer, but it's in there and solid.

I used the Taurus 2 speed fan, had to cut its housing and my factory shrouds to get them to work together.

Inspired by this thread I used a Volvo 2 speed relay/controller to work the fan. I got a little creative with my wiring as I currently do not have a temp switch installed.

What I did was use a pair of GM relays to provide negative triggers to the Volvo relays. So when my ignition is on the fuel pump relay turns on one GM relay that turns on the low speed fan setting via the Volvo relay.

When I turn on my AC the compressor relay turns on the second GM relay that then turns on the hi speed fan setting via the other Volvo relay.

It sound convoluted, but it works great. Someday I'll install a temp switch for that low speed though so the engine will warm up faster.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not much happening lately with this other than driving it. Killed a pigeon a week ago that flew into my grill; busted out a chunk of the grill of course. :( It was in perfect shape.... S15 mind you.

On one of my junkyard rounds over the years I picked up a full set of the wheel well trim. Been installing them as I've replaced tires or done other work that involved removing a tire. Only have one left to install.

Bought a new brake master cylinder, old one is leaking badly so that's the next job.

Also got a new oil pressure switch. Old one sprung a leak so bad I had to remove it and install a plug until I could get the new switch.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts