S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Texan by Marriage
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... for detailers to put "conditioner" stuff on steering wheels and shifters. You can't hold on to the damned things when they've got that slick s**t all over them.

I just went to pick up my truck from the detailer, it's finally driveable after having bought it almost 3 months ago. He did a decent job for $50, but damn, did he have to slather my steering wheel with the professional equivalent of Armor All?

do any of you pros out there do this? I think it's reprehensible, but hey, I live in my own little world.

-sloe

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
thats why I detail my own truck,.. I dont even use conditioners,.. I just vaccum and fabreez.

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
Phontain said:
I dont think that counts as detailing.:twak:
I detail,.. I get into all the cracks and everything, clean out the consol, clean out my map holders, everything,.. except armorall,.. I didnt feel like typing all of that to explain myself to everyone on the board. :p not that I have to anyways.

·
UNBANNED BITCHES!!
2,007 Posts
sloe said:
... for detailers to put "conditioner" stuff on steering wheels and shifters. You can't hold on to the damned things when they've got that slick s**t all over them.

I just went to pick up my truck from the detailer, it's finally driveable after having bought it almost 3 months ago. He did a decent job for $50, but damn, did he have to slather my steering wheel with the professional equivalent of Armor All?

do any of you pros out there do this? I think it's reprehensible, but hey, I live in my own little world.

-sloe
HAHA:haha:
well actually if you use the correct product YES it should be conditioned!!

armor all is NOT a conditioner!!!:rolleyes:
it is a dressing

and $50.oo??....remember that saying....you get what you pay for?.....

my INTERIOR details START at $75.oo just for the inside only!!

** find your self a new detailer my friend.......there are still a few good ones left.:D

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
TnHombre said:
well actually if you use the correct product YES it should be conditioned!!

armor all is NOT a conditioner!!!:rolleyes:
it is a dressing

my INTERIOR details START at $75.oo just for the inside only!!

** find your self a new detailer my friend.......there are still a few good ones left.:D
I have some stuff I got for free from the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer here. its called Leatherguard and is sold by the dealer normally for around $75 for a kit with wash concentrate, leather guard, paint guard, and upholstry cleaner,... would this be any good?

·
The other "BODY" man
6,277 Posts
Ha, Ha, Ha,,, Have I got a little trick for you!!!

Whatever you're using, Armour All <--- although I don't recommend it! or any interior "conditioner", I find the best conditioner, go to a Leather Coat store, they usually sell Suede and cheaper stuff too,, they have all kinds of great products to keep your coats conditioned.

Anyway,, after you apply the stuff and wipe the excess away, let it sit for a bit and take a damp cloth and wipe the shine away, this will take the "greasy" feel and the risk of steering wheel slippage but leave the material "conditioned"

We have leather and vynil interiors in all our funeral vehicles, I've been doing it this ways for a long time, works great!

The opinions stated above are for informational purposes only, following these directions are solely to the operator of the vehicle, author assumes no responsibility for misuse of information, or any injury to possesions or persons that may result :)

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
fauker said:
The opinions stated above are for informational purposes only, following these directions are solely to the operator of the vehicle, author assumes no responsibility for misuse of information, or any injury to possesions or persons that may result :)
Way to cover your ass man,...:cool:

·
Rustbucket Club
772 Posts
I clean it, if I do dress the steering wheel I'll use a water based dressing diluted a LOT

·
Texan by Marriage
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TnHombre said:
It's normally $125, but I had a coupon for $39.95, $49.95 for trucks. I thought I'd give it shot, since I didn't have the capability of shampooing the carpet myself, and the car wash place up the street wanted $50 just for that part. I think the $50 I paid was worth it, except for that one big gripe and a few small ones.

From now on, I'll do it myself. I just needed to get the previous owner's stains and smoke residue out of it so I could make it my daily driver. Next step is the dampner and stopping the rattles - this thing squeaks like a mouse with it's tail caught in a trap just out of reach of the cheese.

-sloe

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
some detailers use that stuff to cover up what they don't wanna clean up. so jus wipe it off your steering wheel an slap that shitties in yo hair an roll out:rotf: :cool: :rotf:

·
UNBANNED BITCHES!!
2,007 Posts
fauker said:
Have I got a little trick for you!!!
Anyway,, after you apply the stuff and wipe the excess away, let it sit for a bit and take a damp cloth and wipe the shine away, this will take the "greasy" feel and the risk of steering wheel slippage but leave the material "conditioned"
well again if you use the correct product you wont have to "wipe the excess away"..........
use a greaseless product.

for those that are interested in a great product , this is what i only use on VINYL and plastics. (but NOT for leather IMO)
it cant be bought in stores so you'll have to find it somewhere online .......
i wont tell you how much it is ill let you find out the price ...hehehe...

but i will tell you that a gallon of this "water" based dressing costs more than 75% of any detailers products, gallons, of ANY product!!

but you will never use any other "dressing" in your life.

:tup: you'll get a bill in the mail for this tip...:kiss: :02redxbla

. HEY...
LikeaRock said:
YOU need to try this one...:D

ATTENTION: LikeaRock...read that ^^^ :haha: :haha:

·
Rustbucket Club
772 Posts
TnHombre said:
well again if you use the correct product you wont have to "wipe the excess away"..........
use a greaseless product.

for those that are interested in a great product , this is what i only use on VINYL and plastics. (but NOT for leather IMO)
it cant be bought in stores so you'll have to find it somewhere online .......
i wont tell you how much it is ill let you find out the price ...hehehe...

but i will tell you that a gallon of this "water" based dressing costs more than 75% of any detailers products, gallons, of ANY product!!

but you will never use any other "dressing" in your life.

:tup: you'll get a bill in the mail for this tip...:kiss: :02redxbla

. HEY...

YOU need to try this one...:D

ATTENTION: LikeaRock...read that ^^^ :haha: :haha:
Well you should have told me about it sooner you poon! :p
I just spend $100 online, I'm waiting for damn UPS to drop the package off, its supposed to come today. Plus I just got the new Edge Wave Waffle pads at P&S during my lunch break. I'm a broke mofugguh right now :haha:
Anyway, I've heard of Malco, I've heard they've got some good stuff. I'm almost positive they're the mother company of Presta, and I really like their polishes, so I'll probably like that stuff too!

·
UNBANNED BITCHES!!
2,007 Posts
LikeaRock said:
Well you should have told me about it sooner you poon! :p
I just spend $100 online,
whatever you do DONT buy optimum's dressing (forget its name "optishine" i think) its not worth the $$

·
Rustbucket Club
772 Posts
TnHombre said:
whatever you do DONT buy optimum's dressing (forget its name "optishine" i think) its not worth the $$
Oh, I don't plan on it. And besides, I really like the dressings I can pick up at P&S, especially Wipe N Shine. when I was in there today I noticed their "Silicone Free tire dressing", we have the silicone based dressing at work, it kicks ass but I hate how it runs in the rain, I might have to try this stuff instead, as well as others :)

·
UNBANNED BITCHES!!
2,007 Posts
LikeaRock said:
Oh, I don't plan on it. And besides, I really like the dressings I can pick up at P&S, especially Wipe N Shine. when I was in there today I noticed their "Silicone Free tire dressing", we have the silicone based dressing at work, it kicks ass but I hate how it runs in the rain, I might have to try this stuff instead, as well as others :)
i use wipe-n-shine also.......mainly only on exterior mouldings and mirrors

·
Registered
568 Posts
eww armor all on the sterring wheel. punch the detailer in the kidneys for me.

I use meqiurs leather conditioner on my wheel.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
DfntPntbll said:
I detail,.. I get into all the cracks and everything, clean out the consol, clean out my map holders, everything,.. except armorall,.. I didnt feel like typing all of that to explain myself to everyone on the board. :p not that I have to anyways.
I made you type it anyways :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts