81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Old Fart
4,175 Posts
What size tires?

·
time to get cereal
4,300 Posts
Looks like it would hit if you went lower?

·
Been there Done it
10,106 Posts
Thanks for posting all the pics. That's with a full width 63" wms to wms ZR2 rear end? Guess those Corvette wheels do really make the difference. The rears are the 10x19 wheels? I should have no trouble with my tiny 8.5x17's with 245/45/17 tires.
I suppose if you do the math. The ZR2 is an 8.5" wider rear axle than a 2wd (54.5"vs 63"). Divided by 2, that's 4-1/4 wider each side than a 2wd. But then you come back in 58mm (2-1/4") each side with the C5 or C6 wheels vs the 0 offset 2wd S10 wheel.
That's only a total of 2" wider per side.
Like @manbearpig says, don't think you'd want to go lower.

Gonna have to try sticking my extra ZR2 rear under my LQ9 2wd with the C5 wheels I already have.
Once the snow melts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
My hope in posting all the pictures was that it might help some one else with their project and give some different ideas. Won't be going any lower that's for sure.

·
Been there Done it
10,106 Posts
What I find interesting is that here in the upper midwest because of all the rust, ZR2 rearends are cheap. About the same as any S10 rear end. Yet they're all 3.73 G80's. Ideal or close to it for high performance swaps. On the other hand a 2wd 8.5 with 3.42 or 3.73 and G80 will fetch a grand. A 3.08 open one gets $500. (Got one of those). I paid $100 for my extra ZR2 one just as insurance when I put the stroked Vortec in my 98 ZR2. Brake parts are rusted away, but I can get those off any 98+ Blazer.
Prior to you posting these pics the urban legend was that "You can't put a ZR2 rear end in a 2wd. Too wide".
Think I'm going to have to snag a couple more of those ZR2 rear ends and stash them before word gets around that they will work with Vette wheels.

Reactions: nomorework

·
Old Fart
4,175 Posts
What I find interesting is that here in the upper midwest because of all the rust, ZR2 rearends are cheap. About the same as any S10 rear end. Yet they're all 3.73 G80's. Ideal or close to it for high performance swaps. On the other hand a 2wd 8.5 with 3.42 or 3.73 and G80 will fetch a grand. A 3.08 open one gets $500. (Got one of those). I paid $100 for my extra ZR2 one just as insurance when I put the stroked Vortec in my 98 ZR2. Brake parts are rusted away, but I can get those off any 98+ Blazer.
Prior to you posting these pics the urban legend was that "You can't put a ZR2 rear end in a 2wd. Too wide".
Think I'm going to have to snag a couple more of those ZR2 rear ends and stash them before word gets around that they will work with Vette wheels.
The 2wd rears aren't quite that expensive here, I paid $350 for mine and all I had to do was replace the brakes since they had sold the calipers and the backing plates were rusted out from sitting on the ground for so long. It only had 25,000 on it so it must have been in the yard for quite some time. they had 2 more but I chose the lowest mileage since the price was the same. I probably have close to $1000 in it because I don't like Govlocks due to past bad experiences and I wanted a taller ratio for fuel economy figuring with the extra torque of the LS I don't need the lower ratio to get it moving so the only things that are original are the housing and axles. I haven't noticed much difference in performance with the 4.3 other than I can no longer break the tires loose between the Tru-Trac and the much wider tires.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,136 Posts
The 2wd rears aren't quite that expensive here, I paid $350 for mine and all I had to do was replace the brakes since they had sold the calipers and the backing plates were rusted out from sitting on the ground for so long. It only had 25,000 on it so it must have been in the yard for quite some time. they had 2 more but I chose the lowest mileage since the price was the same. I probably have close to $1000 in it because I don't like Govlocks due to past bad experiences and I wanted a taller ratio for fuel economy figuring with the extra torque of the LS I don't need the lower ratio to get it moving so the only things that are original are the housing and axles. I haven't noticed much difference in performance with the 4.3 other than I can no longer break the tires loose between the Tru-Trac and the much wider tires.
Let me borrow it and see what I can do. 😂😂

Reactions: goes2fast

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I live in New England and it is almost impossible to find a 2 wheel drive 8.5 rear end so we figured we would try the ZR2 they are cheap and plentiful and it worked out well.

·
Old Fart
4,175 Posts
I live in New England and it is almost impossible to find a 2 wheel drive 8.5 rear end so we figured we would try the ZR2 they are cheap and plentiful and it worked out well.
They are hard to find here as well, everyone thinks they have to have 4 wheel drive to drive in the snow but they still can't drive. I looked in the self-serve yards for a year and never found one so I used an online national search and found a yard nearby that had 3. For the one winter I was still working I had 4 sandbags in the bed and had no problems getting back and forth to work in my 2wd. Now that I'm retired the Xtreme stays parked until the mag chloride is off the roads. ;)

I could have gone the same route you did but I had my heart set on a set of Torque Thrusts that I have wanted since high school.

·
Old Fart
4,175 Posts
Results?

·
Been there Done it
10,106 Posts
410 at the rear wheels, your tuner does good work. That's 60hp more than the factory got at the flywheel.

·
Old Fart
4,175 Posts
Sorry, I missed that, just read Dyno day and thought the results would be at the end.
Wow, 410 is impressive!

·
Old Fart
4,175 Posts
410 at the rear wheels, your tuner does good work. That's 60hp more than the factory got at the flywheel.
You have to remember Chevrolet has a history of conservative hp ratings. One of the magazines did a baseline on an early 5.3 before swapping cams and heads and got 350hp at the flywheel. After going to L33 heads, a little hotter cam, and a tune they got around 425 if I remember right.

·
Been there Done it
10,106 Posts
This is not intended to dispute the OP's dyno numbers. I believe him.
It's intent is to discuss "Magazine dyno testing". Seems if you buy their sponsors parts your engine will benefit greatly.
I always try to bear in mind that magazines are part of the media in this country and rarely give unbiased reports. Not necessarily political in this case, but their bottom line is funded by their advertisers. Bet that article gave the brand name and part number for the cam and probably where you can buy it. Which would influence which brand dyno they used or at least how it was set up.
Please read this:

4th paragraph from the end:
So, the dyno didn't actually lie but the data fed into the machine certainly did. This is how magazine articles inflate numbers on dyno's, how cheapie engine can look good on the dyno and how you can "fudge the numbers" on a dyno to make it look like the engine makes more power than it actually does.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
My tuner/dyno guy told me I am borderline ready for bigger injectors and the motor is begging for more intake!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
oldeerslayer I have never put any stock in flywheel hp numbers and always believed them to be inflated by the manufacturer.

·
Old Fart
4,175 Posts
This is not intended to dispute the OP's dyno numbers. I believe him.
It's intent is to discuss "Magazine dyno testing". Seems if you buy their sponsors parts your engine will benefit greatly.
I always try to bear in mind that magazines are part of the media in this country and rarely give unbiased reports. Not necessarily political in this case, but their bottom line is funded by their advertisers. Bet that article gave the brand name and part number for the cam and probably where you can buy it. Which would influence which brand dyno they used or at least how it was set up.
Please read this:

4th paragraph from the end:
This was all Chevrolet factory parts, a set of heads from an L33 and a cam from a Corvette. The stock 5.3 rated at 295 hp actually made 350 hp before the head and cam swap with the tune so I don't think that applies here. The dyno headers would make a little difference but not 55 hp.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts