S-10 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,964 Posts
The last pic looks similar to my setup.
Inlet air temp is a lot cooler there than at the back top of the engine.
A 39°F difference in air intake temperature will result in a 7% drop in density, which equates to a 7% horsepower loss (25 horsepower on a 350 horsepower truck).
That's why GM put a hole in the radiator support for the OEM air intake. To take advantage of outside unheated air.
With the air filter is located down there I opened that hole a bit since the headlights block it somewhat. Hope to eventually build a box around the area to keep out underhood hot air. At speed I'm not sure it matters too much since there should be plenty of air coming thru the grill. And I'm going with cast manifolds which throw off less heat than headers.
Grant did some testing and found there wasn't much of a difference in IAT's with or without a box.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm waiting on my Holley exhaust system right now but I only ordered now to take advantage of the sale price. I'm not ready to start my swap yet anyway. I'm using Corvette water pump etc. for maximum clearance at the front though.

It would be nice if you posted more photos and explanations for those of us that haven't started our swaps yet. :cool:
:)

·
Old Fart
4,151 Posts
\

Have you thought about recessing the radiator and running the intake tube over to the drivers side, with a 90* bend to put the filter vertical next to the washer bottle? This is not my truck.

View attachment 346184
Even with the radiator moved he would still have a hard time with the AC compressor where it is. It would be much better if it was on the passenger side like yours.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,964 Posts
Even with the radiator moved he would still have a hard time with the AC compressor where it is. It would be much better if it was on the passenger side like yours.
I don't know. It looks like he'll gain 4"+-. It doesn't look like the compressor sticks out any further than the alternator.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If the alternator and the a/c compressor were reversed I would have had no problem routing the intake. The other issue we had was the new radiator is much thicker than the stock one and we had to add a spacer to the throttle body so that plus the fans took up most of the room. We also didn't want to cut up the radiator support.
Rhotpursuit were you asking me for pictures?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,964 Posts
If the alternator and the a/c compressor were reversed I would have had no problem routing the intake. The other issue we had was the new radiator is much thicker than the stock one and we had to add a spacer to the throttle body so that plus the fans took up most of the room. We also didn't want to cut up the radiator support.
Rhotpursuit were you asking me for pictures?
Yes...pics please.

·
Old Fart
4,151 Posts
I don't know. It looks like he'll gain 4"+-. It doesn't look like the compressor sticks out any further than the alternator.
The hoses take up space as well.

·
Old Fart
4,151 Posts
Third picture shows pieces we had to add to the system because this is an extended cab truck.
Thanks, that is what I needed since my truck is an extended cab as well. I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and probably will not see it for 2 or 3 more weeks acording to Holley. Mine will be a little different as I plan on adding high flow cats.

Reactions: nomorework

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,964 Posts
The hoses take up space as well.
🤪 If there's one thing I've learned thru this whole process....you can make ac hoses go anyplace you want. 4.3 hoses lay on the upper shroud without an issue.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts