S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a 02 Sonoma 4.3 Vortec automatic, extended cab with 240,000 miles. Currently I'm having a few odd issues and I'm having trouble figuring out if they are connected in some way.

Here's my laundry list of problems with it.
And attempted solutions

-When my engine temperature hits 210 for atleast a few minutes and I park, turn it off, and say go to the store or something. It wont crank until it cools down.
-/- Replaced the starter, fuel filter, and distributor cap, spark plugs, and wires. Cleaned MAF. Problem still persists

-After dealing with that for a month or so another issue arose, when i would drive my truck would overheat. But when I take my foot off the gas, my temperatures fall pretty quickly.
-/- flushed the coolant, YUCK I dony know the last time it was flushed

- when flushing the coolant i noticed that after running it to clear the system. Only about 1-2 gallons came out. After running it. temperatures were at around 230. My radiator was completely cold. I also noticed a steam coming from the radiator cap
ALSO when running there is no coolant flowing through the radiator. And the coolant that is in the reservoir seems to not move at all. (It was a fresh green compared to the mucky green that came from the radiator) (and yes I know I'm "supposed" to use dexcool)

-checked the engine codes and there were somethings going on with the Evap system, and the autozone paper they printed recommended a new distributor and MAF sensor.

After I fix one thing 3 more problems popup.

Sorry for the long post. This truck has just been getting the best of me and I need to fix these problems as I start a new job soon.

Thank you guys ahead of time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ALSO to clarify, on the no-hot-start condition it sounds like its choking from lack of fuel.

Also my idle is kinda sparratic. Sometimes at 700rpm, down to 300rpm. There was a pretty bad misfire a few weeks ago. Just trying to give as much info as possible.

Thanks again

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For one thing that sticks out is it appears that you might need a water pump ?
Yeah I assumed such. But if that's the case, why is it that when I let off the throttle the temps go back to normal? Why wouldn't the engine just continuously overheat?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts