S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I recently replaced the ac system in my 1994 S10 (4.3 V6 TBI) to only start noticing the voltage gauge drop from 14 volts to around 13 after driving for a mile or two with the air conditing on. I noticed after driving around 20 miles that on startup, the engine will start but then start a cycle of stalling and/or rough idle for a couple of minutes. I can't tell what the culprit is that is causing such problems as the battery is only less than a year old and rated higher than what the manual calls for. The alternator was replaced about a year ago as well but was replaced with a remanufactured one. Although, when the old system worked I never had the same issue under the same battery/alternator. This is confusing me as there is nothing installed on the truck that would draw more power than normal. My only guess is that the alternator is too small or doesn't output enough amps. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Gavin

·
Registered
101 Posts
I take it it's not throwing any codes (check engine light)?
Do any dummy lights show up on the instrument panel when it's acting up?

Take it to your local autoparts store and have them to test the battery and alternator.
No need in replacing parts until you know which one is actually bad.

·
Been there Done it
14,856 Posts
Check all your battery cables at ALL the points of contact to the frame and block and at the battery for loose, rusty, or swollen inside the insulation. Also make sure the ground to the firewall from the block is good. Could be a grounding issue.
On all S-series vehicles odd electrical issues are almost always ground related.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even if my engine threw an engine code, I wouldn't be able to read it as I don't have an obd1 reader. The battery and alternator were checked as well, both were fine. Will definitely look into the ground as I always forget about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts