S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister sent me this. I would think sense our VSS is in the tranny it wouldn't be possible. Just curious though.
"A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A resident of Kilgore,Texas, she was traveling between Gladewater &Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessive, when her car suddenly began to hydroplane and literally flew through the air.

She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know -NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She had thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain. But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on and your car begins to hydroplaned - when your tires loose contact with the pavement your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and you take off like an airplane.. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.

We all know you have little or no control over a car when it begins to hydroplane. You are at the mercy of the Good Lord. The highway patrol estimated her car was actually traveling through the air at 10 to 15 miles per hour faster than the speed set on the cruise control.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the drivers seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY along with the airbag warning.

We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the pavement is dry. The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the patrolman), was a man who had had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries."

·
Muppet Baby Member
4,261 Posts
Ok, first of all.. she obviously doesnt know what happened. An officer doesnt walk on to a scene, and say this is what happened. nor does anyone ever say "Thats exactly what happened." doesnt go like that.. If she knew she was hydro planning, but didnt do anything about it.. shes safer where she landed. Second, Cruise does not Pick up speed if you hydro plane, the tires simply spin with less resistance, they still spin a t a constant speed, (most likely higher RPM) and the speed you set it at. Crusie control is controlled, by the speedo, which is determined by wheel spin, if the wheel is spinning 10-15 miles faster the Speedo says so, and cruise would recognize also. at that point applying breaks to slow down, and thus, Killing the hydro plane. Especially in a car, where hydroplaning takes place up front 9/10, and most "cars" are front wheel drive.

BTW, this is why they say "Be more attentive when driving in conditions worse then normal" you dont just hydro plane and then fly off the road, you need to do it for a bit, and you recognize it right away. (Steering mushes out, car/truck in general feels lighter, and Higher RPMS maybe achieved do to lack of resistance.) Now Im not saying it cant happen. But Im saying have a computer control it is much safer for most people, other than depending on there own common driving knowledge

·
Proud to be a Cop!!!
939 Posts
NEVER APPLY THE BRAKES WHEN YOU HYDROPLANE!!!!!

I have been to too many accidents where people hit their brakes when they started hydroplaning. The best way to handle it is to let off the gas. If you hit your brakes, the veh is traveling faster than the tires are spinning thus when you regain your traction, the vehicle will loose control.

The brakes do no good when you are hydroplaning, becuase the tires aren't actually touching a solid surface. They are essentially floating on the water.

And as far as it is better to have a computer control your car as it's loosing control. I would have to dissagree. From my experience, it is better that you are in control of the car. Most computers are set to react to normal driving conditions. Not unexpected conditions.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well this was shown to be a fake on snopes. You tires wouldn't speed up hydroplaning because it goes by your speedometer which would go up if the tires spun faster. However...for those with auto trannies....dont drop the truck into nuetral while in cruise...dont know if our trucks have a safety off switch in that situation but I know my 2000 Mustang GT doesn't! oops!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Beeker said:
Second, Cruise does not Pick up speed if you hydro plane, the tires simply spin with less resistance, they still spin a t a constant speed, (most likely higher RPM) and the speed you set it at. Crusie control is controlled, by the speedo, which is determined by wheel spin, if the wheel is spinning 10-15 miles faster the Speedo says so, and cruise would recognize also. at that point applying breaks to slow down, and thus, Killing the hydro plane. Especially in a car, where hydroplaning takes place up front 9/10, and most "cars" are front wheel drive.

I agree with everything you said above, except where the computer applies the brakes when on cruise control?

Unless you have some kick ass traction control system thing that senses the wheel spinning, the breaks are never applied with cruise. Cruise control uses vacuum pressure lines to control the throttle enough to keep the set desired speed, so to slow down, it restricts the throttle, it doesn't't apply the brakes!!!!!

:pimp:

·
the guy on the couch
123 Posts
twodoorblazer said:
I agree with everything you said above, except where the computer applies the brakes when on cruise control?

Unless you have some kick ass traction control system thing that senses the wheel spinning, the breaks are never applied with cruise. Cruise control uses vacuum pressure lines to control the throttle enough to keep the set desired speed, so to slow down, it restricts the throttle, it doesn't't apply the brakes!!!!!

:pimp:
yeah i didnt think cruise control could apply the brakes

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yeah, I mean cruise control has been around since the late sixties
or early seventies way before computers were arounf that would ever control the brakes.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts