S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every time I drive the truck for the first 2-3 minutes the brakes tend to lock up even if i barely tap them. It goes away after a few mins of driving and a few times of pressing the brakes.

Is this normal? Why does it do this?

·
drives a LSX zr2
1,071 Posts
Every time I drive the truck for the first 2-3 minutes the brakes tend to lock up even if i barely tap them. It goes away after a few mins of driving and a few times of pressing the brakes.

Is this normal? Why does it do this?
sounds like it could be your caliper. most likely your slide pins are freezing up or your caliper piston is freezing up. to check the slide pins just take the caliper off and make sure they arent rusty or anything. if they are clean the slide pins and throw some anti seize in with the slide pins if its the piston prolly have to replace the whole caliper.

42,008 Posts
front brakes or rear brakes? check the rear drums,shoes and hardware if everything still looks good clean everything up with brake clean and see if it's any better.
i've had the same problem with the rears when they were due for a change and a couple times from brake dust/rust accumulation.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
grabby brakes when cold is a pretyt common issue although i dont see it much on the GM car and s-10 vehicles like this its mostly on the FWD cars and such

moisture on rotors, in pads,

possibly brake fluid seeping onto surfaces somehow? brake fluid on brakes actually causes grabbiness, not slippage.

missing any brake fluid ever?

if not then its moisture issue

try different pad material

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its only the front brakes. I figured it was something to do with the air in the brake lines but wasn't sure.

Now that I think about it Im pretty sure it only has done it when its raining out, so it must be a moisture issue.

I havent had the truck long and its been raining for so many days straight here in Portland that im confident that its probably moisture on pads and rotors. I dont remember it doing that when it was dry out.

Thanks for the responses.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
i have a very slight leak on my left rear wheel cylinder. when its raining out it will grab, but any other time i have no issue. it feels like the frt on my truck, but i removed the rear drums and seen the slight seepage. it has been doing this for 3+ years now. when it finally starts leaking i will replace the cylinders and shoes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts