S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled the pan off my transmission this evening to replace the pan gasket and filter.

The fluid was a particularly unwholesome brownish red, and the bottom of the pan...

I took pictures. Quite a few of them, actually.

My question is: Should I start saving for a transmission rebuild, or can I expect this one to last a few years yet, with a fresh filter and complete fluid change?

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
Better start saving up quickly. This is reason for concern:

That chunk broke off something and all those metal particles are not good.

Reactions: motor_hed

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It's just a matter of time before your tranny goes, no one can say when exactly

Reactions: JDF2002

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all.

That's exactly what I thought, but automatic transmissions are one thing I know absolutely nothing about, so I thought I'd ask just to confirm.

Guess that 5 speed swap is back on the table :: sigh ::

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
324 Posts
Thanks, all.

That's exactly what I thought, but automatic transmissions are one thing I know absolutely nothing about, so I thought I'd ask just to confirm.

Guess that 5 speed swap is back on the table :: sigh ::
Make sure it's a strong and sturdy table! :whistle:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't suppose any of y'all are

1) In the Denver area,
2) Know how to rebuild a 4L60E and
3) Would be willing to help me rebuild this critter if I grabbed a rebuild kit from Summit or somewhere?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't suppose any of y'all are

1) In the Denver area,
2) Know how to rebuild a 4L60E and
3) Would be willing to help me rebuild this critter if I grabbed a rebuild kit from Summit or somewhere?
Your best bet would be going to O'reilly and buying a PowerTorque (ETE) reman they come with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. You can get ETE remans at the other part stores but O'reilly seems to be more smooth. About $1,350 for 2WD. Keep your original transmission for a bit before turning it in because you will need a few parts off of it like the tail housing, neutral safety switch, etc.

And if it were my transmission personally I would put some Lucas in it to try and help aid it along a little longer if I had to drive it but who knows how long it will last it could fail within miles, hell it could last a months or even a year or more.

If you intend to rebuild it you should stop driving it to prevent further damage which could end up costing your more during the rebuild process.

Just a question for you though. When you are going from drive to reverse, etc are you coming to a complete stop first? I know many people do not but it is important to come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm going to just leave the trans out until I get it replaced/rebuilt. Pricing that out tomorrow when the local trans shops are open.

I checked with O'Reilly's and Auto Zone. $1615 and up for a 4L60E for a 4wd. $1350 for a reman NV3500, but then I'd need all the other swap parts, so that'll probably actually run more, once all is said and done.

Nope, never shift from forward to reverse moving (or vice versa) that was an expensive lesson I only had to learn once :: chuckle ::

1 - 9 of 9 Posts